Scorching Hot: Brescello to Mantua - Cycle Tour in the Po Valley - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2012

Scorching Hot: Brescello to Mantua

Our hotel was new and located on the highway about 10 minutes outside of Brescello, but to get back on our bike path along the Po we had to return to Brescello.

Our hotel, Don Camillo, four stars but moderately priced, perhaps because it was outside of town near the freeway, not a very attractive location.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The film "Il Mondo Piccolo" put Brescello on the map, it's its claim to fame. We liked this little town, and on our way to the bike path we made another stop there and took some more pictures showing the traces of the fictive priest and communist mayor, Don Camillo and Peppone. Today it's the cafés named after Don Camillo and Peppone that are competing.

Don Camillo as portayed by Fernandel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peppone
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don Camillo's namesake café ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
... and Peppone's
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was incredibly hot, but our route was interesting and most of the time we were on small roads or else excellent bike paths on the dam along the Po.

Countryside along the road
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed through Gualtieri, known for its impressive Renaissance Piazza Bentivoglio.

Renaissance piazza in Gualtieri
Heart 1 Comment 0
Renaissance piazza in Gualtieri
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle path before we reach Suzzara
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Mottegiana we again crossed the Po. I was hoping the highway across the bridge wouldn't feel as threatening as the last one at Casalmaggiore - and it wasn't. It was shorter and much less busy. We were now heading north and had left the Po behind us. It was 30°C and we were looking forward to reaching our destination.

Typical style church tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flying the flag
Heart 1 Comment 0

The entry to Mantua wasn't difficult, there were bike paths and signs leading to the center of town. Here, too, we had booked a hotel. It was opposite the train station, easy to find, and later for different reasons an advantageous location.

We checked in, showered and headed for the center of town. Our plans only allowed us to stay one night in Mantua, although it would have been nice to spend another day there. We had been to Mantua before, but I can't say that we had seen much of the city on our previous visit. At any rate, this time it made a much greater impression on us. It was an unusually warm Saturday evening and the center was crowded with people out to enjoy the inviting atmosphere of a summer night.

Mantua in the evening
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mantua
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mantua
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mantua
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mantua
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mantua - many bicycles here too
Heart 1 Comment 0
The gothic church got a new look when a Renaissance facade was attached to the front.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Detail from the front of the facade - Unfortunately, at some point each angel lost one foot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting for dinner time, we had the popular drink 'spritz Aperol'.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rental bikes in Mantua
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we returned to our room the night seemed to be getting hotter and hotter - and then the storm broke. A terrific wind came up and then it poured. It was still pouring when we woke up in the morning.

Our hotel, Hotel Rigoletto, had pictures of the major opera houses in Europe decorating its walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 336 km (209 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0