Unfinished business in the Pyrenees - Toulouse to Porto 2019 - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2019

Unfinished business in the Pyrenees

Why not begin climbing the first days of a tour?

This is what our first few days riding looks like. Can't wait to be back in the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rest. Col Burdinolatze, France 2018
Heart 0 Comment 0
Col Tourmalet, 2018
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sue descending Col de Mente. 2018
Heart 0 Comment 0

The allure of the green hills and stiff climbs of the Pyrenees from last year's Bordeaux to Girona tour still taps us on the shoulder as a reminder that we really needed to go back there one day.    One of the areas that we really regretted not visiting last time was the d'Aspe valley around Bedous and Lescun.   Our last year's tour took us a little further north, so we could not possibly pass up a return to this beautiful region.   It really was Scott and Rachel Anderson's Girona to Bilbao journal that really peaked our interest in the region.  Above is a map of our first few days ride to the coast, some of which we traveled last year.

An image of Lescun. How amazing is this?
Heart 1 Comment 0

So, here is the plan for the first few days.  We fly into Toulouse where we will spend one night to get acclimated.  From there, we are going to take the train to Pau, then transfer trains and take the journey south through the d'Apse valley to the little mountain town of Bedous.  This is the last stop on the line of this little regional train where it cozies up to the imposing sentinel of the Pyrenees.  It is also the launching off point of some of the most striking hiking in the area.

We will spend two nights in Bedous.  On one of the days, we will cycle up to Lescun and lock up the bikes and go for a hike to Lac de Lhurs.  

I will come back and update you  on the rest of the trip later.  Thanks for following along.

All cleaned and ready to go. Sue’s Brodie Elan.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Scott AndersonStickers! What a great idea!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Scott. We began to collect stickers of the big cols we climbed a couple of years ago. We collected a lot on the 2017 French Alps tour that was inspired by you two! Not sure we will collect any on this trip as we will be going over some "minor" climbs. Seems like only the cols above 2000m get sticker recognition.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Oh.  I forgot to mention that I bought a new frame and fork!  Take a look at this little beauty.  I transferred all of my components from my Salsa Fargo to this Salsa Vaya.  The Fargo was always a little too large for me anyways; and a little bit of an overbuilt beast for road touring with geometry more  suited to the Continental Divide Trail and bikepacking.   So, I am looking forward to touring on this "lighter" bike.  So, let’s throw on those panniers and get rolling!

Looking forward to taking her on the road!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just in case you wanted to take another gander.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonYou’re going to Lescun! Such an amazing place. I’ll enjoy seeing it again.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraHI Scott. Again. I thank you for bringing this region to our attention....From your journal, it sounds pretty incredible.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago