Mobridge to Pollock- Smooth Sailing and Instant Fame - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2018

Mobridge to Pollock- Smooth Sailing and Instant Fame

Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride started off with a stop at the Mobridge Post Office. My replacement tire was supposed to have arrived yesterday, but won't be there until Friday. The damaged tire is holding up OK and we wanted to keep riding, so we asked the Mobridge PO to forward it to Bismarck when they receive it on Friday. We should all (we and the new tire) make it to Bismarck on Saturday.

Heart 4 Comment 1
Dee Fortecool building!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

From downtown Mobridge, it was a short hop to get back to the route. Of the 520 miles that we've ridden in South Dakota, most roads have had exceptionally low traffic. Today was no exception. We followed state route 1804 over gently rolling hills and we were probably only passed by 20-30 vehicles during our 4 hours on the road. The surface was like butter, the headwinds were mild, and the dominating ambient sounds were birds, insects, and the occasional whoosh of a mammoth wind turbine.

Whoosh!
Heart 8 Comment 2
This part of South Dakota is called the Windfarmsy region. (Sorry-Ron's doing the captions)
Heart 5 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch on the side of the road and enjoyed a view of the Missouri River while we munched on peanut butter-smeared bagels, an orange, pretzels, trail mix, and cookies. I know. It sounds like a lot of food ... But, remember, we have a lot of calories to replace!

Lunch stop
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 2
Dee Fortethat's freaking beautiful!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteYeah we've been surprised how good the scenery is.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 9 Comment 0
These cows aren't afraid of smelly bicyclers.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Paula LentowichLooks like they're ready for some conversation.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

And for you viewing pleasure, Ron has put together this video. Please watch. 

When we arrived in Pollock we picked up a few things at the grocery store and sat outside to eat ice cream bars. A lady wearing a large smile approached us and asked if we'd like to see the Visitor's Center. "Sure!", we said, and she drove over to her house to pick up the key.

Vina LaFave was her name, and she gave us a great tour of the Center, which houses not only historical information about Pollock and the Lewis & Clark expedition, but also interesting artwork and artifacts. One of my favorite displays was a group of clocks that area resident Leo Brockel made out of different types of wood. He passed away in 2001 and his family donated the clocks to the Pollock Visitor Center.

Vina LaFave, keeper of Pollock's history
Heart 9 Comment 0
Leo Brockel's clocks
Heart 7 Comment 1
Paula LentowichBeautiful craftsmanship!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

While we were there, Waynette Geigle from the neighboring Prairie Pioneer newspaper office stopped by and asked us about our tour. She offered to make us instant celebrities and took our photo for next week's edition. We posed outside next to the loaded bikes ... maybe the Prairie Pioneer readers will be inspired to go on a bike ride? 

Vina and Waynette then gave us directions to the town park, where we could camp under the picnic shelter. We were amongst very few visitors to the park and were the only campersWe quickly assumed ownership of the shelter and spread our gear out across 3 picnic tables and a clothesline. Thankfully only a couple of people drove by because the chaotic spread looked like a scene from the Beverly Hillbillies!

We spent the rest of the afternoon re-connecting with the world via smart phones and watching the shelter's resident swallows tend to their nest. Swallows are quite the aerial acrobats!

Ron and I road into town to take a few photos, enjoying the quiet and tidy surrounding neighborhood on the way. And the day ended with a colorful sunset over Lake Pocasse.

Heart 5 Comment 2
Paula LentowichDid you ask Waynette to send you a copy of next weeks edition? Your experience there sounds like a screen from Mayberry. What nice people you encountered!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Paula LentowichShe said we should be able to access online next week.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 8 Comment 4
Paula LentowichAbsolutely gorgeous! What a splendid way to end such a relaxing and fun day. Love the video! Hope you have many more days like this one.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Paula LentowichMe too
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnMr. Grumby's musical talent was on full display in that video. The range in his singing voice is astounding! We watched/listened over and over :-). Your mother is very impressed that you are keeping your clothes clean - even if it does take up an entire picnic shelter.

We love the photos and are thoroughly enjoying your journal.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnThanks. Im working on a sequel.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 802 miles (1,291 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 13
Bruce LellmanFantastic video!! I'm going to watch it again right now.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekThanks! You'll have the Slim Whitman earworm embedded for a few days. And the impossible-to-unsee visual of me lip syncing Mr. Whitman.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanYes, that earworm was already embedded before I watched it a second time. I love the lip syncing but especially the brief Big Eyes for emphasis. Love it!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanThanks for your support, because I like doing nonsensical stuff like this some times and it's great to get encouragement. Jen might be rolling her eyes now....
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Andrea BrownYour video needs more cowbell. The yodeling was on point, though.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Andrea BrownI can't find anywhere for the cowbell now. That saxaphone takes a lot of space
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rachael AndersonGlad things are going better. Fabulous video! You are so creative. Scott and I are trying to recuperate from jet lag.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonType your comment here
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanI suspect that if Jen's eyes are rolling they are rolling with an old western drawl.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanYes, and that's no small feat!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Dee Fortehahahahaha - video on point! I want to see the newspaper!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteIt should be published today or tomorrow so I'll send it on when I see it.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Dee ForteYes do it!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago