Akaska to Mobridge- Skunks, Sticky Buns and Black-bodied Yellowbirds - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2018

Akaska to Mobridge- Skunks, Sticky Buns and Black-bodied Yellowbirds

One of Akaska's many feral cats.
Heart 4 Comment 0

I'm behind on posts, so this is the entry for Wednesday, June 20. 

The night at Tim's lodge was a chance to reset after a very challenging day yesterday (6/19). He is very generous to open his business to us 3 smelly bicyclers for free.  People in town were friendly and we had a relaxing afternoon and evening there. And Jen is a tough girl! And cute 

The first 9 miles today was on a gravel road, and the grassy meadows, grazing cattle, rolling hills and pond were just what we needed after the boring Farmlandsyness (I will stop this at some point) that we have been immersed  in over the past 2-3 days. There were still plenty of cornfields but the variety was nice. Best of all, no serious wind. The temp was low 60s perfect for riding your bike across the Great Plains.

You don't want to go down that road
Heart 5 Comment 3
Bruce LellmanA sign like that just makes me want to go down that road.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanYou're a rebel!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bruce LellmanAnd definitely without a cause.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
This is more like it
Heart 6 Comment 0


We passed some cattle crossing the gravel and even  tried to help a calf get through a gate to join her mother. The poor animal was scared so I, as a trained medical professional (have I used this bit before?) opened the gate while Jen, a trained Financial Analyst, herded the animal into the pasture.*

*Not really. The calf found her way into the pasture herself. 

Stampede!!!!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Li LaAll we have in Portland is people who can’t share the multi use path... today dog on leash on one side and person on the other side fully blocking path. Good thing for swift reaction. Hope you are able to avoid leashed cattle on your journey. ; )
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Li LaYes! Leashed cattle are treacherous! Maybe we should release some Dakota livestock on the Portland multi-use paths to create a little law and order?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We started seeing  a lot of birds with black bodies, white stripes on the wings and bright yellow heads. I was going to ask Mr. Shaneyfelt but Jen thinks she found it: Yellow Headed Blackbird.  They are very handsome looking birds, but are skittish around smelly bicyclers apparently, so we found it impossible to photograph them with our smartphones. Gay wondered why it's not called a black bodied yellow bird. And it's a good question. We also saw a skunk, but he ran back to DC. Haha! I have a lot of jokes. Some of them are funny. 

Yellow Headed Blackbird. Jen found this photo on the interwebs. The author is Terry Sohl
Heart 5 Comment 0
Hey, I found a shortcut!!
Heart 6 Comment 2
Paula LentowichYou might have enjoyed it when you had the crazy heat.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Paula LentowichWe would have gone in at full speed
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Unseen on the camera are several Yellow Headed Blackbirds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Waiting for Ron again
Heart 4 Comment 0

The gravel gave way to pavement but it was SR1804, which we have been following more or less for 150 miles, and it's generally a low traffic route. It was excellent riding all the way. 

We rolled into Mobridge around 11:30 at the Great Plains Cafe. Jen and I destroyed a fresh-baked cinnamon roll covered in carmel (caramel?). And then we ate breakfast. I had ordered a replacement tire for Jen's bike last week to be sent to the Mobridge Post office general delivery. I was hoping it had arrived but no luck. The clerk told me to check back in the morning. 

We ate the cinnamon roll so fast no photo exists. So this is my breakfast.
Heart 4 Comment 0

While Jen and Gay went grocery shopping, I waited outside with the bikes.  A guy who identified himself as a Standing Rock Sioux asked me about the trip. He ended up telling us that he fathered 37 kids in Seattle and moved back here. I'm not sure I believe him. 

We loaded our provisions and made our way to the Country Cabins & RV park, which, according to the ACA map used to be called Kountry Kabins and Kamping. The former owners were either clueless or insane racists. "Hey kids! How about a fun vacation at KKK?" 

Anyway, we got a nice spot at the newly, more appropriately-named campground. The bath house was new  had completely private showers and bathrooms. Very nice. We sat around like the idle retired people we are and talked to people as they walked by. The accents are becoming more Fargo-like as we north. 

Tomorrow we will go to Pollock after I stop at the Post Office to check on the tire. Days like today are why we do this.  

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 761 miles (1,225 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Paula LentowichHooray for no winds, pleasant temps, cinnamon rolls and good food! 37 kids, huh?!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Paula LentowichYes it was great. And that guy was more prolific than your peeps if he was being truthful. But I suspect he was pretty hammered.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Dee ForteHahaha Kountry Kabins and Kamping!! Great entry!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteThanks.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago