Muldorf: An exciting day on the tractor front! - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2014

Muldorf: An exciting day on the tractor front!

The restaurant the woman at the pension had recommended was really amazing. It was in a cellar and If the customers weren't in modern clothing you would have thought that you were in a Bruegel painting. There were massive tables made of roughly hewed thick oak and you sat on oak forms. The food was real bavarian food and I had boiled beef with horseradish and potatoes accompanied of course by Bavarian Beer. It was delicious.

There was very heavy rain in the night so Ken spent a lot of time worrying whether the farmers got all their silage in. as we were above a bakerie I woke at about 3am to the smell of baking bread - I cant think of a nicer smell to wake to. It was good to devour some of their fine products for breakfast. It was still raining but not very hard, so we were somewhat unsure what to plan for the day. The decision was to ride to Wasserburg which was somewhat less than 20km away and make a decision then. Wasserburg is a little town situated in a loop of the river, it is extremely heavily built up with picturesque Ancient buildings and a tourist magnet. We looked around, had coffee and tried to decided what to do. the rain had stopped, it was only 10am, we could spend a very pleasant day in Wasserburg - the next town was about 50km away. We decided to move on.

The 20km after Wasserburg are very challenging lots of ups and downs and some shocking tracks through the forests which had been made much worse by last nights rain. It had a silver lining though. When we went up the Inn 3years ago Ken had found an old farm house with an ancient man who owned 3 Eicher tractors. Just as we to enter the worst of the forest track there it was and there was the old guy dressed up in his best clothes (did he know Ken was coming? no he was off to a wedding). He has absolutely no English and I think probably felt a bit confused by Ken's enthusiasm. But his daughter, in similar attire came along and Ken even got to see a fourth Eicher lovingly locked away in a shed.

After a bit of stuffing around we eventually found the old town of Muhldorf and are comfortably settled in the Altstadthotel feeling rather hungry.

The entry into Wasserburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
The street in Wasserburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wasserburg as we climbed up
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of Ken's friends Eichers . You can tell how many cylinders an Eicher has by counting the separate blowers for each air cooled cylinder - Useful information?? this one has 2
Heart 0 Comment 0
How many cylinders does this one have?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with the Eicher brigade
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don't you love this apple tree
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town gates of Muhldotf
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a beautifully arcaded town
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,567 km (973 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0