Amerang: A lovely day once more in the sunshine - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2014

Amerang: A lovely day once more in the sunshine

It was beautiful weather again today and a really lovely ride through hill and dale. Once again the farmers were out in force. Today they were getting the grass that they had fluffed up yesterday into rows and by the end of the day they were beginning to pick it up and take it to enormous silage pits. Some of the ups were really step but this was fine at the beginning of the day (not so good by day's end)

We came to Chieming which is on the Chiemsee a fairly large glacier formed lake. Thousands and thousands of people making the most of the last few days of the school holidays. A fair proportion of these were on bikes an the cycleway that takes you around the lake. There were many thousands of cyclists and at least half were on electric assist bikes. We only saw two other lots of touring cyclists. It amuses us that when we stop and someone examines our bikes they almost always assume that ours must be electric assist and hunt for where we have the batteries.

After we left the lake and started on the roller coaster again I began to wilt and by the time we got to the town of Hoslwang which was at the top of a hill I was delighted to see somewhere we could get some to revive me. We got huge glasses of delicious cloudy apple juice and after that and a sit down I was somewhat revived.

Our target for the day was Amerang which after a few navigation problems (it is always a bad feeling when you have been riding along and come to a place you were at several kilometers ago.) We had thought that accommodation would be fairly easy here but we were wrong. We have the last room in a pension above a bakerie for which we are extremely grateful. The main reason for wanting to get here is that there is a big museum of German cars here that Ken was keen to visit. Ken enjoyed it immensely and saw all sorts of cars he hadn't seen before and marvelled at german engineering.

This picture shows the country we are going through at the moment - the mountains in the distance are those that our route went through on the way to Salzburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Hamamag has had its beauty treatment and is all ready for a tractor show
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the cows were allowed outside today - see what good condition they are in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small villages along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Compacting silage
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pasture is so lush at a corresponding time of the year we would have no green showing at all it would all be a burnt off brown
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cats are having a lovely time hunting in freshly harvested fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
An early single cylinder Eicher
Heart 0 Comment 0
And another racing down the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken thinks that this is the first BMW car - a Dixie - an Austin Seven made under licence
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,503 km (933 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0