Brno - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2014

Brno

Our meal at Novosedley was unusual! Our girl had told us, we thought, that we could get a meal at 7.00pm. We then went and checked - the place closed at 9pm. Around 7 we went down and asked for a meal - a dismayed and perplexed look came over her face and she seemed to mime that there was only salad available. Not a problem then along came the salad, a very small greek salad. We waited and waited and waited but another didn't come. Ken went and asked and she mimed that was all that was left. So we shared! I think that this is the ultimate in extreme dieting. Ride 70 km eat only one bread roll and one peach along the way then in the evening have dinner - half a small Greek Salad. Ken had bought some chocolate this morning so we scoffed this down. We understood she said breakfast will be available at 8am - we will see.

The kitchen did open at 8am so it was the end of the Ultimate Extreme Diet
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today until the very end was a rural ride. We managed to find a very well signed route all the way to Brno and the riding was easy. We passed through a lot of small towns none of which looked particularly prosperous. Having no local money is a rather unsettling feeling. The trusty iPad once more came to the rescue with a new app I found 'find an ATM'. It was extraordinary that we had been riding for over 50km in the Czech Republic before we came to a town which had one. I got thousands and thousands of Kr and we were able to have a coffee. Talking of apps today we were using Gallilao. Rick (a fellow Kiwi) told me about it when we met him on the Main. I have loaded it with Open Cycling maps and it gives you a cycle friendly route and without the use of any data tracks your progress so when you come to a corner and are unsure you can easily find the way to go. As our maps of here aren't that fantastic it was a great help.

To start with we were riding through the Moravian Vineyards. Although they are not meticulously tended they grapes looked good and they are ripening well. There was in fact some picking already started. We are looking forward to trying some Moravian wine tonight - they must get the grapes pretty ripe as the alcohol percentages of the wines we have seen range between 12% and 14.4% .

It is clear that you are approaching Brno that you are coming into a big city as you start coming across the mega parking lots and huge chain stores. However they have managed to make a great cycle route into the the old centre. The contrast to the rural sector is enormous. Brno is a buzzing, affluent looking city (with ATMs on every corner). We are around 4 or 5 days ahead of time so we have decided to stay here for 2 nights as there is lots to see and do

Wine cellars some of course old and out of use
Heart 0 Comment 0
Is this town called after our grandson?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is an unidentifiable old tractor the owner was keen to start it up for Ken
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grapes see how they are well fenced off
Heart 0 Comment 0
These loud speakers are in small towns and spookily make announcements
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were very pleased to find this
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Zeta pulling a spud digger like the one Kens father had
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cycleway into Brno
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely trams in Brno
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,154 km (1,338 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0