A day off in Brno: We remain dirty - Hunting down Ancient Tractors between Dusseldorf and Warsaw - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2014

A day off in Brno: We remain dirty

Ken woke with a cold this morning (it must be something about Brno Alison) so we were glad that we were having the day off. Our start was a very leisurely one then off to see the really beautiful Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul. It sits on the top of a hill and its twin spires were dominating the view as we rode into the city yesterday. The Gothic interior of it appeals to me much more than the overdone Baroque interiors of the small churches we have been visiting in Austria. As you enter you are immediately struck by the stained glass widows at the end of the hall like church above the main altar.

We visited the Information to find out where there there was a Laundromat. The kind lady marked it on our map and said it was actually quite a long way around 30to 40 minutes walk. We collected all our clothes and off we set ........ I think it must have been a figment of her imagination as in the place marked there was only an international library. A kind lady responded to our attempts at mime and directed us on....... No luck (we should have learnt from the experience we had in Santiago last year). We "asked" another lady who seemed initially terrified by us but in the end she said Tescos and signed that we should follow her. She was on her mobile phone and then out of a house popped a young woman ? her daughter. Who told us we must go to Tescos and gave us directions. On and on we plodded, by this time we were well off the edge of the map and had walked over 5km. With great optimism we went to the first floor as directed and there we found a drycleaner! We had a piece of Pizza then back to the hotel and Ken washed our socks. We had had our exercise for the day a 10km walk.

There are many lovely old buildings in Brno and we have been enjoying looking at them. Ken is of course interested in the fact that the Zetor Tractor Factory is in Brno (he has a Zetor tractor) but its museum is only open on Saturdays. Also the Bren Gun was designed here the Br in the name coming from Brno and the en from Enfield where it was manufactured.

The Old Town Hall, central pinnacle is said to be so crooked because the town council refused to pay the artist the agreed sum of money. This is unlikely to be true and is more likely to be bizarre late Gothic architectural joke,
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a fantastic group playing John Lennons Imagine. They had a violin, an oboe, two guitars and some percussion as well as voice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0