Cortina - Hiking in the Dolomites - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2018

Cortina - Hiking in the Dolomites

Cortina

We had a leisurely breakfast this morning, so much so that they were tidying the breakfast room and packing up before we left. Breakfast at the Hotel Pontechiesa was a good one, but neither of us were ravenous after last night’s huge dinner. 

We started the day by checking out the road to our next destination and the amount of traffic. The CN wants to go a little rogue with the route tomorrow rather than going straight to Toblach. It was hard to say how much traffic we will encounter. It seemed busy, but is it because of time of day, is it because it is Sunday and the tourists are out?  It was impossible to speculate so we gave it the Italian shrug and decided to worry about it in the morning. 

Our hotel, the Hotel Pontecheisa. We really like it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The CN liked the front of this hotel for some reason 😉.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took another leisurely wander through the pedestrian zone and to the tram that runs up in the opposite direction from yesterday. 

I cannot believe we trusted this ancient tram with our lives, but we did.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the other way up. The route our son and daughter in law would have taken I might add. For us the tram, ancient that it was, was probably the better option.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Brett ClassenLooks like a popular route!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

It was just breathtaking at the top. We loved it. We set out on a well marked hike and honestly, it was just so gorgeous. We weren’t as high as yesterday but the views were just as amazing. Keith has been talking about the Dolomites for a year and he is getting a really good look. It makes me happy.  We have been so fortunate with the weather. 

A picture of me taking a picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The building in the lower right is where we started. This is skiing territory in the winter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beauty everywhere.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then came the best bit. This was breathtaking hiking (in terms of scenery and vertical metres) and we felt like we were having a wilderness experience, but arrived at the top of the trail and what should appear?

This is fruit soaking in sunshine and grappa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How gorgeous is that?
Heart 0 Comment 0
What can you say about a place where mid hike you can have a cappuccino, green tea (the CN is more of a health nut than me) and grappa in a stunning setting? It was amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Seriously, happy, happy, happy. It was wonderful. The woman who made my cappuccino was a treat and we had a wee google translate discussion that had us both feeling good. It was so much fun. 

Anyone who hikes won’t be surprised that going down can be as challenging as going up and we chose a route where we were very much missing our hiking poles, but we made it unscathed. Then we set off to see where the Sylvester Stallone movie Cliffhanger was filmed. Quite funny really, because until we got off the tram we didn’t even know about the movie, but we might have to watch it when we get home. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
I love the moody look in the clouds here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It was spectacular.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Don’t look right and don’t trip 👍.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Where the movie set was.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seems it had a roof in the movie.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After our movie set hike we headed back to the tram for the ride back into town. We had a short wait which was perfectly enjoyable. 

An oasis waiting for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the climbers have made it up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was so comfortable the CN fell asleep shortly after he took the picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back in town we had a very late lunch and a wander through town again. We headed back to the hotel to relax. We are just back from a wonderful evening which was enhanced by meeting a group who are just starting out on a supported bike tour. Oh my goodness they are going to have fun. Such a nice group of people from the States and they have a fabulous itinerary ahead. Much to Keith’s pleasure one of them even plays hockey. Instant bonding 😀. 

My gimpy leg feels less uncomfortable by the moment. We wrapped it in a ziplock bag sealed with electricians tape and I had a longed for shower after we got down from our hike. It felt so good. So, to quote Mickey Mouse, I feel all clean and pretty and ready to roll in the morning. It is going to be fun!  We are so lucky to be doing this. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 5
david alstonKathleen

We are all lucky. Maun and I love your enthusiastic reminders, keep them coming.

In our good fortune we got to spend our wedding anniversary in Cortina in 2016, where we had pedaled from Toblach. We are indeed lucky.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamYes people who discover cycle touring are so lucky. You need three things
Someone to do it with
The health to do it
Be able to afford it
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia GrahamAnd the will to do it. Give yourself a lot of credit for this, Tricia. You could be just lying around on the beach somewhere!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonThanks, Keith and Kathleen! Strangely enough, we weren’t planning to pass through Cortina when we pass through in a few weeks. You’ve changed our minds.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Keith ClassenTo david alstonThanks David - we agree Cortina would be great spot to spend an anniversary. We will be cycling to Toblach from Cortina in a couple days once we complete the Stella Ronda loop. We heard the route between Cortina and Toblach is compacted gravel surface. Nice to hear from you.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago