Getting Ready to Go - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2018

Getting Ready to Go

We are busy preparing for our fifth bike tour in Europe. Or avoiding getting ready. It is so much easier to go for a bike ride instead, using the training excuse. I have come to the conclusion that we both work better under pressure, and I am starting to feel it.  

To complicate matters,  I was working in the house on Sunday and decided to toss a few things in the laundry sink to soak before I washed them. I left the room on a quick errand while the water was running and became distracted. An hour and a half later when I went downstairs we had an inch of water in our family room. 

First we tried to valiantly to soak it up with towels. I started worrying about the washing machine as we were soaking up the water, then using the spin cycle in the washer and repeat. The water was about an inch deep.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the end we had to call the insurance company. Here is the next iteration of our family room.

What a ridiculous situation.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now the area is full of enormous fans and dehumidifiers. All because of a moment of inattention. The good news is it wasn’t the night before we leave. The water was clean. We are insured. We can put it all together again when we get back. It took me a bit to wrap my mind around that as my sister and husband are coming to stay in the house while we are gone, but the family room is in our finished basement so as long as we clear a path to the laundry room they will be fine. Still, what an idiotic thing to do. The insurance company tells us it happens all the time. 

So with the basement drying out (it takes days) we can turn our minds to packing and the little details, like passports. I am always terrified of forgetting the passports. The bikes have been tuned at North Park Bikes, our wonderful LBS, we have treated ourselves to new shoes and cleats and the Chief Navigator (CN) is planning our route. As usual we have booked our first night and last night at the airport hotel and then we will see. We fly into Zurich and will spend about a week in Switzerland and then are heading east into the Dolomites. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Tricia GrahamGood to hear you will be back in Europe again. Doesn’t sound as if our paths will cross. A lovely day here in Hamburg for us to start cycling
Tricia and Ken
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Tricia GrahamSo happy you have good weather 😎. We are off first thing in the morning. As always we are not looking forward to the getting there, but we are looking forward to being there 😀.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonThere was more drama yesterday...a lost Visa card. Keith left his in the parking machine at the airport when going to pick up our sister in law. It was a bit tense for a bit as the woman in lost and found told us she was going to destroy the card...noooooooo...standard procedure she said. I talked her out of it and we were able to retrieve the card this AM and are about to go buy wine and make sure it works! I am starting to think Keith and I shouldn’t be allowed out unescorted 😜.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonWe can sure relate. With each passing year we feel more strongly that we need personal assistants. It’s always been a problem with us though. On our first overseas trip, to New Zealand in 1993, we dropped my wallet in the parking lot at work on the way to the airport, and didn’t discover it until too late. We arrived in Auckland with no credit cards and no cash except for travelers checks. We were rescued by my parents, who wired cash to us at a bank two weeks down the road.

And then there was the year we lost our passports in southern Spain. Don’t try this yourselves - it’s not as much fun as you’d think.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Joy DavisNice thing about being on the road is that things are (relatively) simple. Can't wait to reduce our lives to riding, eating and sleeping, starting next week. Have a great trip... Joy
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Larry CadeWe are late to the Blog and started at the beginning, certainly not expecting this added complication and stress for you! As you said, thankfully it's clean water.

Larry & Jackie
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Larry CadeHi Larry and Jacquie - we have long forgotten the flood ... only a distant memory. Thanks for tagging along. Always great to hear from family, friends and others when we are on the road. Now you have a few photos to view. Keith
Reply to this comment
5 years ago