Andermatt- A Climbing We Will Go - Poking Around Europe 5.0 - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2018

Andermatt- A Climbing We Will Go

Altdorf to Andermatt

A decision was made, after a restless night for the CN, and we started out this morning with the Oberwald Pass in mind. First we had to get to Andermatt, which is where the pass starts. We had an excellent breakfast to fuel up, and after a visit to tourist information we felt ready and informed. The question about  the first section of the ride was understanding the road closure and the train schedule. Bikes will not be allowed on the last 6 km of the uphill portion of the road to Andermatt until 2019 (hopefully) when they will finish a new separate bike lane and complete construction on the road. Once TI sorted that for us we were off.

Remember those short doors in our hotel? Here is how short they were.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Adele JoorisityThank heavens he wasn’t too wide. That was from Doug.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
We initially considered just taking the train to Andermatt and then starting to cycle. Here is Natasha at the front desk who was incredibly helpful and printed the schedule for us. The train right from Altdorf meant several changes so we decided to bike to Goschenen and catch the train there.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We negotiated our way out of Altdorf with no drama and only one miscue. We cycled on the flat in the valley for approximately 15 km without any significant elevation gain. It was the kind of day and route that makes cycle touring so magical. We were along a river at times, through farmer’s fields and the Swiss farms and houses were just beautiful. 

These horses were just so handsome and happy with the weather too.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Surrounded by mountains.
Heart 6 Comment 0
This must be where the colour of the lake comes from.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The views were spectacular all day.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Larry CadeReminiscent of Hurricane Ridge! A very daunting climb ahead of you for sure (especially with pannier bags)!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Then the climb began. It was much more challenging than I had anticipated. We put the bikes in granny gear and started working. I seriously considered stashing my bike jersey and riding in my sports bra I was so hot. Fortunately for all onlookers I decided not to. We were approaching a little village with the most appealing terrace overlooking the valley with Keith in front. There must be something to mental telepathy because he stopped at that shady oasis and I had a cold coke. I needed the sugar and the caffeine. 

This was one of the windows on the terrace.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The cable car was right next door. The views were amazing.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The ride was awesome, but it wasn’t too long before we decided we were maybe a bit ambitious doing the ride to Andermatt and the Oberwald Pass in one day. We were moving at 6 km an hour. For me the whole thing was slightly hilarious as I think of Andermatt as being at the bottom of a hill as we swooped into it from the top of the Furka Pass last year. 

There was only one longish tunnel today and it had a sidewalk so we walked through it. We never felt unsafe.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We passed on the opportunity to lock up the bikes and get some exercise hiking down to the pedestrian bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
There were a number of one lane construction areas controlled by lights rather than a flag person. We don’t like these because it is hard to be confident on a bike that you can get through before traffic coming the other way gets the green. Especially riding uphill. Fortunately today they were short passages and had clear sight lines so we were fine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I am very focused on my lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I look very serious here but it is because I had chocolate brownie in my teeth!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Just before we arrived in Goschenen two cyclists on road bikes caught up and we had a good chat for the last km. We arrived in Goschenen at precisely 2:00 and the train left at 2:04. The four of us threw the bikes aboard and there was no time to purchase tickets. This worked out in our favour as no one came along to charge us on the short ride. We arrived in Andermatt with time to relax and shower and do a really good explore of the town. We met Nick and James from north England who started this morning at 6 AM and had done Furka. They were heading over Oberalp before stopping for the day. Sheesh. They are on a one week tour and are 35 years younger than us. We did note with amusement that one wanted to stop for the day and the other wanted to keep going. 

Through the train window. It gives you some idea of the scope of the project.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel which is very comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Andermatt is gorgeous and full of hikers, road bikers, motorcycles and expensive cars.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Nick and James ready to roll.
Heart 1 Comment 0
That is tomorrow’s climb, the Oberalp Pass. We think it will be easier than today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another great building in Andermatt.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Strava says we did 1451 m of climbing today, and yes, we both remembered to pause Strava on the train. That was enough for us on loaded touring bikes. The couple on the train on their road bikes just couldn’t believe what we hauled up the hill. We are not sure if they were impressed or think we are nuts. 

We are relaxed, happy and looking forward to a good sleep tonight and a good climb tomorrow. We love Switzerland!

Heart 0 Comment 0

https://www.relive.cc/view/1800743447

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 139 km (86 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Tricia GrahamAm extremely impressed by your climbing as we just quietly roll along on almost flat roads! After the Oberal pass are you going down the Rhine?
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are going down the Rhine after Oberalp. We are looking forward to a few days of flatter riding although the scenery has been fantastic. We will see how far we get today. We have been so lucky with the weather for this part of the trip.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Larry CadeI have to pause to catch my breath after just "reading" this section! Thank you sooo much for recording - and sharing - your journey in words and photos! Jackie and I are sitting in the San Diego Airport with another three hours before our flight departs, and your Blog has been a wonderful way to pass the first hour of a four-hour wait until our flight home (via Vancouver). I can't wait to move on to the next 'chapter' after we go through security.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago