Day 0 (also known as travel day) and Day 1!!! - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2018 to June 22, 2018

Day 0 (also known as travel day) and Day 1!!!

(Editorial note:  Usually Erika is writing most of the text and I, Marvin add the pictures and the captions and if I make a comment like this one I identify myself.  Often you c an tell who is writing by references to the other one in the third person)

After making all our  connections and having relatively uneventful flights, we landed in Amsterdam (now late morning on the 21st), walked out the door of the Schiphol airport and, after a brief wait, climbed onto a shuttle that took us to the door of our hotel. Waiting at the door as the shuttle pulled up were our good friends, Steve and Dodie (aka the Grampies). Now, Steve and Dodie have been good friends for nigh on 20 years. In recent years we enjoyed reading their travel blogs and our conversations with them encouraged us to try bike touring. For those reasons it was pretty exciting to have them waiting for us and know that we would spend the  next few days cycling with the "experts"!

 Not long after arriving at the hotel, Steve and Marvin headed off to get some buns to go with the other food Dodie had on hand. We also had discovered that one of our panniers had lost a screw and while we could find the needed screw, we did not have the required funny star shaped wrench. While out on their bikes picking up buns, Marvin and Steve also found the tool needed to repair my pannier. While they were engaged in activity, I tested the beds in our hotel! They worked!!!

Cycling into town with Steve for food and a screw driver
Heart 1 Comment 0

The hotel we stayed, the budget Ibis, is very basic but definitely clean. My only real complaint was that the double bed had a bunk bed above it made of metal. I learned the hard way that the head clearance between the two beds was not great. I now have a somewhat tender goose egg on my right forehead. 

When the fellows returned from their outing, buns in hand, I politely woke and politely allowed Dodie to feed me wonderful dutch cheese and equally delicious crusty, multi grain buns. 

It wasn't long after eating that Marvin joined me in testing the mattress. We were out in no time. 

Dodie had informed us that she was setting her alarm for 6 am. Marvin, still dealing with the time change, was up at 4 am  but politely let me sleep until I woke up naturally just before 6pm. We were both pretty happy when it turned 6 and we were able ensure the Grampies were up and moving with a smart rap on their door.

We had a great breakfast at the hotel (if you want details regarding the breakfast please check the Grampies blog). After having thoroughly enjoyed a wonderful dutch breakfast we gathered our gear and, while the Grampies cycled into town, we hopped onto the shuttle to the airport and then made our way to the train that would carry us to the Amsterdam Central train station. Not far from the station was the bike shop where we would be renting our bikes for the next few days. 

The room we stayed in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the train to Amsterdam central station
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to schlep our stuff to the bike rental shop
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Steve and Dodie had already arranged the bike rentals and after some adjusting and organizing, we were off.

Today's route:

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we really enjoyed benefiting from the Grampie's knowledge and, specifically, Dodie's organization skills. We were able to cheerfully relax while following Dodie (aka Mother Duck). She was very good at ensuring her ducklings were following her and not falling behind. At one point she did claim that it was similar to dealing with her four children when they were young but I chose to believe she was joking!!

Started out pretty urban
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossed some big bridges
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dodie led us on a wonderful tour of the coast up to Edam. It was a delight to cycle on well kept and well marked paths. We went from the city center to farm land and lovely small towns. We enjoyed seeing young life of all varieties - lambs, calves, colts, goslings, signets, etc. 

When it took our fancy, we pulled into a resort area in Uitdam and enjoyed a lunch of, you guessed it, buns and cheese. Dodie is great to have a long to make sure your nutritional requirements are being met. Marvin made sure I got some hot chocolate and we all got some fries to share. I love the way they serve hot chocolate here. I got a lovely cup of steaming hot chocolate, a small bowl with a healthy dollop of whip cream and a little cookie on the side. Historically, if a drink was served alone, it needed to be taxed. To avoid that taxing, a cookie was served with coffee, tea or hot chocolate. The tradition continues and I won't complain!

Wind was blowing hard
Heart 1 Comment 0
This used to be part of the Zuiederzee but long dikes were built, cutting it off
Heart 0 Comment 0
This village is a single long street between the water and farmland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here you can see through to the farmland behind the houses
Heart 0 Comment 0
The name of the town is crossed out as you leave
Heart 0 Comment 0

When it took our fancy, we pulled into a resort area in Uitdam and enjoyed a lunch of, you guessed it, buns and cheese. Dodie is great to have a long to make sure your nutritional requirements are being met. Marvin made sure I got some hot chocolate and we all got some fries to share. I love the way they serve hot chocolate here. I got a lovely cup of steaming hot chocolate, a small bowl with a healthy dollop of whip cream and a little cookie on the side. Historically, if a drink was served alone, it needed to be taxed. To avoid that taxing, a cookie was served with coffee, tea or hot chocolate. The tradition continues and I won't complain!

The area to our left is known as waterland
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are up on the dike while others are below on the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the little town we pulled into for a snack
Heart 1 Comment 0

Recharged we  saddled up again and headed on into the insistent head wind. Now, normally I HATE headwinds but, let's face it, I have just started a European vacation and was cycling in Holland so was willing to tolerate cheerfully a strong wind. However, I hope it is not the norm for our trip. I was very lucky that Dodie has supplied me with a polar fleece almost as soon as we got here. So, with a t-shirt, merino wool pull over, the polar fleece and my windbreaker, I was comfortable cycling. My hands did get a bit cold so I will want to stop at a cycling store soon and get some gloves. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
All the swans we have been seeing have babies
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of babies this time of year
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are water trails and markers to follow in a boat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enlarge the picture and you can see Jonah in the 'whale' on the building to the right
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here you see how the system works: you arrive at a point like 1 and then you have pointers of which way to go to the next one you want, such as 02, 38 or 57
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were delighted to cycle into Monnickendam and discover a delightful old fishing village. The harbor was full of sail boats, most very old and equipped with actual starboards. The inner town was full of ornate old buildings  and we enjoyed listening to the old carilloon tower struck three pm. Once it was actually 3pm, the knights on the tower stared jousting, while the angel trumpeted the arrival of 3 pm

This port town was full of old boats with double star boards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The man is hanging eels
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Four different dates 1420 to 1969
Heart 0 Comment 0
We waited until 3 to hear the bell
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bench of the day!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cycled on until we came to Katvoude where we enjoyed stopping at a clog and cheese factory. The fellow working there was great at chatting up the costumers and sharing his knowledge of the area. He also introduced us to Charlotte, a very intelligent pig  who he was able to get to do tricks.  As impressive as Charlotte was, the best part were definitely the cheese samples. Marvin choose the cheese we bought, aged. Dodie and I loved some of the flavored cheeses but I let Marvin choose. 

Need a new pair of shoes?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not far down the road we came to the Henri Willig cheese factory and decided to pop in for the tour and, you guessed it, cheese samples. The tour was interesting but it was the fellow in the cheese shop who really knew his cheese. He was able to answer Steve's questions and made sure we got what ever samples we wanted. Dodie and I discovered some amazing truffle, cheese spread that we added to what we were collecting for the evenings supper. 

Just down the road was Henri Willig cheese farm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then noodled on to Volendam/Edam. It is all so beautiful here. The houses are quaint and the vegetation is very lush. Flowers are everywhere and at times we could smell the roses as we cycled by. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve has a much better picture of this bird in his journal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was later in the afternoon when we got to Volendam where our bed and breakfast is. After getting some directions from a local fellow, Dodie led us to the door of the B&B. All four of us are sharing a 5 person room tonight. We have now had a lovely lunch consisting of cheese, buns, salad and waffles. Yummy!!! At this point, we have all had showers, it is after 8 pm and the lady with jet lag is ready to fall asleep. Any gaps in my tell of the day will be filled in by Steve on his blog or by Marvin as he adds the pictures. 

Looking forward to another fun day tomorrow!

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 43 km (27 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Tricia GrahamIt is so lovely to read of the excitement of someone doing their first European cycle trip and we will be following you along the way
We consider Steve and Dodie to be good friends even though we have never met (maybe some day) and have always followed their travels as they have ours. Was feeling sad that my daily fix was going to stop with their return home but it will continue as their bikes embark on another adventure
Keep safe
Tricia and Graham
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamHi Tricia, Steve here. We feel the same. We will have something to follow though we may be home. Actually, though Dodie has followed some others on Cycleblaze in the last three months, I have only been able to check in sporadically, so there is catchup I can do too.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marvin PaxmanTo Tricia GrahamThanks Tricia, we are really excited and enjoying this already. I am having a hard time keeping up with the journalling, but I hope to get better at it. Keep on checking
Reply to this comment
5 years ago