The day before day 1!!! - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

The day before day 1!!!

Happy to be on our way
Heart 0 Comment 0

On a plane with Marvin!!!

After a very busy week of dealing with having a house up for sale, the end of term and trying to get packing done, we collapsed into bed last night after having decided that taking the ferry at 0700 would not work. BC Ferries provide a great service but do not coordinate their sailings with when flights take off at Vancouver airport. The 0700 hours ferry would get us to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal at about 0845. Once the ferry docks there is a 10 minute hike down a gang plank to the terminal. Then we would have to wait for our luggage and go and find a taxi. We would then need to assume that the traffic on the highway would get us to the airport in reasonable time and that the lines at security were not to long. So, yes, I managed to think of quite a few things to worry about that could interfere with our ability to check in at the airport before 1010 when they would not longer be willing to check our bags. We had considered going over the evening before but hotels near the airport were pricey and we really needed the time to do all the last-minute things on our list.  Now, while credit card travel can be an option, we really need what we packed. You can’t take a lot when you are going bike touring so each item we pack is considered carefully. With that in mind, Marvin booked us a flight over to Vancouver. As it was an eleventh-hour decision, it was, unfortunately, an eleventh-hour price. Oh well, the stress it removed was worth it. As a result, when we did settle to bed we were confident we would get to the airport in Vancouver in good time.

This was the grand result of our packing plus my little pile of clothes to wear in the morning
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sun really was up at 0530. This being June 20th we will be having a long day in many ways! The security fellow at Victoria very friendly which is unusual for a security fellow at an airport. As my ID had already been checked by the airline, he stated he only needed to see my boarding pass. Then, with a twinkle in his eye, he turned to Marvin and said, “yours, however, I have to check!” He then laughed with us as he waved us through.

At the crack of dawn this morning, Matthew, our pretty darn terrific son, picked us up and drove us to the airport where we cheerfully started our journey.  

Matt took this picture at the airport before 6AM
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are now on our second plane and over half way to Toronto where we will catch our third plane that will take us to Amsterdam where our good friends the Grampies are waiting for us!!!! We also are looking forward to Dutch cheeses, bike paths  and, under Steve’s discerning eye, bakeries!

The shuttle from one terminal to another in Vancouver was quite nice
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Cyclist in the early morning commute
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0