Day 2 .... WOW!!! - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2018

Day 2 .... WOW!!!

Edam to Amsterdam

(Once again, Erika is writing the text and I, Marvin add all the other stuff)

If there was any doubt that cycling in Holland would not meet our expectations they were all laid to rest today. The fresh air and exercise from yesterday ensured a solid nights sleep last night. Well rested, we cheerful indulged in another wonderful Dutch breakfast. The B&B Edam was very nice and did not disappoint for breakfast. Once we were all sufficiently suffonsified, on to the bikes we went to start the day.

Our host and breakfast he prepared for us. YUMMY!
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Dodie had laid out a nice route that would take us through several small towns and rural areas. 

There are 3 ferries that we take on this route, each very different from the others.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The B&B we stayed at
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started the day by returning to Edam and enjoying toddling around the old town. There are so many quaint old buildings. Of course, with Steve aiding in the decision making, we found a very good bakery.  It was one of those places where you wish there were some way to record smell. It was wonderful! As we believe in supporting local economies, we generously purchased a few things to sample. Dodie and I are very comfortable raving about the quality of the Ginger tarts that they had. They were truly amazing!!! 

Started out headed for the coast and the old town. Note how lovely it is with canal and trees, even in the industrial area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now we are transitioning into beautiful homes on canals
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice boat! Oh, and the homes are lovely too
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now we are entering the old town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Notice in the next few pictures how many buildings are leaning, testament to the fact that they are OLD!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

This and the next 2 pictures are from the area known as the old cheese market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We also took the time to pop into the local bike shop. Unfortunately, that was a disappointment. We were quite understanding that they did not have the items we were looking for. The problem was the clerk who basically followed us around the store making sure we did not touch anything. At one point Marvin touched a pedal to indicate one of the items we were in need of. The clerk actually poked him and and asked him not to touch things. He then straighten the pedal to make sure it was where he thought it should be. Unimpressed with his behavior, we left the store and know in future trips, we will not bother going there again.

We enjoyed a cycle around the large cathedral. We would like to have been able to go in for a peek but it did not open until the afternoon. With places to go we bade Edam goodbye and headed on to the area of Middenbeemster. The Beemster area was the first reclaimed area in Holland - known as a polder. It was amazing to cycle through this lush agricultural area and realize that it had been reclaimed during a time when the equipment being used included windmills, horses and simple manpower. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of recreational use of the waterways, especially on the weekend
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at these neat homes, and solar panels on the roofs
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed may large dairy farms and noticed how the herd size to land used ratio differed from what we see in Canada. The grass in the Beemster area is so lush and thick that more cattle are able to be grazed in a smaller area.  

One of the delights of cycling an agricultural area this time of year is all the young life you get to enjoy.  We saw calves, lambs, bunnies and numerous ducklings and signets. There is always something so beautiful about young life!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love the way these roads work, cyclists have their space and cars work in and around you. This is 2-way traffic. The cars use the cycle lanes when passing but cyclists always get treated with respect. Only once in the 2 days with Steve and Dodie did a car make an unsafe passing of us with oncoming traffic. I said to Steve "must be a french driver!"
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a beautiful house!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We cycled on through Oost Graftdijk, Markenbinnen, Ostknollendam and Wormer. There were so many delightful areas that we started to run out of superlatives!  Farm after farm was immaculately kept. Beautiful brick buildings with thatched roofs and well tended gardens lined canals and cobbled streets. You cant even really complain about riding on cobbled roads as they are so well laid that there really is not much bumpiness to complain about. 

We also cycled through several parks and environmentally protected areas. The number of water fowl we enjoyed is very impressive.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just leaving the middle of the Beemster area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Potato field on this side, wheat was on the other
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ha! Today instead of 'Bench of the day' I am posting a 'NOT the bench of the day' or 'Bench of former days'
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first ferry of the day. Very short ride to the other side. 1 euro each
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Note the dates for this little hamlet. We had some tomato soup at the restaurant to the right. Read Steve's journal for the story of our bread vs their bread. I have put a link at the end of this journal entry.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

The map tells us we are supposed to cross here. Where's the ferry?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aha! There it is and there is a chain in the water. I can reel that baby in!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Erika has the camera and is appreciating the lovely homes and boats on the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost here. It was 5 to 10 minutes of vigorous exercise and I really enjoyed it!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Erika is on and taking pictures of the other side
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here comes Dodie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our Dutch friends get us across. We took videos but I will need more time to upload them
Heart 0 Comment 0
These houses have driveways that cross a little canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
I just keep taking pictures of the great roads and paths that we get to bike on
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here we are entering an old working harbour area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
High rise apartments, newer ones in the foreground and older ones in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

A particular delight was delight was the living museum at Zaanse Schans. It reminded Marvin and I of Heritage Park in Calgary in that everything had been done to preserve the local history and heritage. The highlight of the area are the numerous functional windmills that line the banks of the canal.  If time would have allowed, we could have toured the windmills and learned about how they function and the various things they were used for. Marvin and I are toying with the idea of coming back to Amsterdam a few days before we fly home so that we have some extra time to do some of the more touristy things. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
I have some video of these that I will post later
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Erika said we look cute
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesAnd so you do...... Dodie
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Lots of recreational and tour boats in the large harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of people here on the weekend
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The rest of the trip was spent enjoying following punkt signs back into Amsterdam. We were able to cycle from the outskirts of one of Europe's largest cities into the downtown almost completely through fields and parks.  

One last picture of the outdoor areas of the park
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the road back toward Amsterdam
Heart 0 Comment 0
What is it about goats? If there is anything to climb up on, they do it. We have seen others on the roofs of huts in their fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
The windmill in the picture was moving, so must be a working windmill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cycled through a large forested park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Erika is thinking, how do I do this with that scooter coming toward me?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesAnd Dodie was thinking .... I got here first, you (scooter) will have to wait. And he did.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was only when we were almost at the city core that we came upon heavily trafficked bike paths. However, that did not last long before we came to the end of the path to discover a ferry service that took us straight to the central train station. we were so impressed. There is no charge for the ferry which is considered part of the cycling system.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are on the ferry heading across. 3rd ferry of the day, pretty different from the 2nd one
Heart 1 Comment 0
We returned the bikes, caught the train back to the airport and then a shuttle to our hotel, which is pretty nice!
Heart 0 Comment 0

So, tomorrow Steve and Dodie return to Vancouver Island and Marvin and I strike out on our own without the benefit of their knowledge and insight into tour cycling in Europe. First order of business will be to track down a guide that gives us info on the cycling system in Holland (the punkt system) and a few maps to help us decide where to head next. 

Keep posted, who knows where this adventure will take us!

Editorial note from Marvin:  Be sure and read the Grampies' journal for the 2 days we spent together,   day 1   and day 2

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 107 km (66 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve Miller/Grampieswriting this from the ferry to the island after a long and very tiring trip. we really miss you guys already. keep those blog entries coming.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marvin PaxmanTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe are having a great time so far. Still trying to get fully caught up on the journal. You will be able to read all about it. Have fun with the jet lag.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesBravo Erika and Marvin, sitting here despondently now in my kitchen, this entry really put me back into Holland. Also it's a rare time that I got to see myself in the "picture".

Steve
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Betty ForsythThanks for taking the time to give us a glimpse of your adventure. Love the pictures. Looks like a beautiful place.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago