Rochefort: PMU Cafeteria and Lavarie - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2013

Rochefort: PMU Cafeteria and Lavarie

When we awoke it was raining, it was still windy but not too bad so we got all our gear sorted and went down to breakfast. This was leisurely because the Pont Transbordeur didn’t start till 9.30am. Ken went to get the bikes and I paid and checked out. He came in with a sour face and said the rain was torrential and it was cold. I checked back in and we went back to bed. At about 11.30 the rain was lighter, we arose once more and decided that a walk was in order so off we set with warm clothes and rain coats. From that time on it hasn’t rained again! We got very hot in all that gear.

Rochefort is a different town, it is largely built of stone and was the village selected by Louis 14th in the mid 17th century to establish a military arsenal including warehouses and workshops. Ships were built in the dry docks here and there has been a great effort to preserve all these aspects of the town. We walked around and had a good look but failed to go the le Mussee de la Marine. From there we went to the real cultural centre of the town to the PMU. Things were really humming and the bar man certainly had to be on his toes to get all the bets in on time as well as providing the appropriate drinks. One old guy in particular seemed to be having lots of luck but was looking particularly stressed at the end of the last race we watched.

Then it was back to the hotel to eat our pizza and little raspberry tarts, the hotel cat had eaten half our quiche. Off we went to the find of the day, the laverie. This time we went on bikes. Then we had to face up to the puzzle of working those machines. It is such a statisfying sight to see the washing going round and round and then coming away with the prize of an armload of sweet smelling clothes. We are so clean now.

All that remains for us is dinner. Last night we went to the Cafeteria in the huge E LECLERC. The meal was extrodinarily cheap and suprisingly good, I had Boef Bourginon. The whole experience was very confusing, where do you got trays, cutlery, wine, glasses etc then of course how to go through the eye of a needle to pay for the lot. It was like a massive barn with the worst acoustics I have ever experienced, no romantic dining here. It seemed to be devoted to hoards of people eating massive amounts shovelled in as quickly as possible, nearly all had a huge piles of frites. Tonight we will go back with the advantage of experience and do it all again with style. We sure know how to live the high life the PMU, the Laverie and the Cafeteria.

The Pont Transbordeur, The cage you cross on is slung from the cables
Heart 0 Comment 0
A motorway goes on this massive bridge over le Charente
Heart 0 Comment 0
A perfectly restored Deux Chevaux
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monumental Gates
Heart 0 Comment 0
Follow the instructions
Heart 0 Comment 0
Satisfaction
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beer at the Pont Transbordeur
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 1,575 km (978 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0