Where shall we go this year? - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2013

Where shall we go this year?

We have so many ideas in our heads, it is always a hard decision but we have made it. On August 1st we leave Auckland, NZ bound for London then on October 11th we fly home from Lisbon. London to Lisbon, it doesn't sound too far if you say it fast perhaps the two ls help.

The plan is to fly to Gatwick, have a day in London then off to Newhaven where we will cross to Dieppe. We will ride through Normandy and Brittany joining the Velodysee, a new cycle route that takes you all the way to the Spanish border. At present we have a young French Winemaker from Bordeaux working with us so we will of course detour through Bordeaux. Francois tells us that is even more important to taste a very special pastry that is made only in Bordeaux than to visit the famous vineyards. He has given us the name of the Boulangerie that makes these pastries and if you are still with us when we reach Bordeaux I will let you into the secret.

In a previous obsession we walked ancient pilgrim routes and followed the routes of three of these to Santiago de Compostella. However we never walked the Northern Coastal Route in Spain so we will ride this from the Spanish border. To say that the terrain looks 'challenging' seems to me somewhat of an understatement. From Santiago it is then the Portugese Camino backwards to Lisbon. Perhaps we won't make it but we will be riding around somewhere in that general direction. Just say London to Lisbon fast and it doesnt sound too daunting.

Ken is a bit concerned that there won't be many ancient tractors on this route but he has such a nose for them I am sure he will sniff them out. I just hope there are plenty of good coffee stops along the way.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0