Rochefort to Rounce: Classic Mondays - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2013

Rochefort to Rounce: Classic Mondays

Today was really a classic day of French Lundis. Down to breakfast when it started at 7am we found that the Pont Transbordeur didn’t start until 11 am on a Lundi. We really felt we couldn’t wait until then to cross so we would take the alternative route which involved going about 20km inland to find a suitable crossing of the Charente. That was OK at least we could buy some bread as we went through Rochefort. Guess what first two Boulongeries Ferme, yes it is Lundi but the third was open. The route took us at first through rather ugly suburbs with industry as we wobbled our way up the Charente then eventually there was a bridge which was not too dangerous to cross and we were on an old railway line. A stop along the way at a PMU for coffee then back on it. It was fantastic travelling with a great surface and no traffic we fair flew along. It looked as if it would be like this the whole way. Oh no it deteriated to a rutted grassy track but there was an alternative. Off we went in what seemed entirely the wrong direction and bumped our way along this low lying swampy waste until at last we came to Marrines. This is the place that has the largest oyster farms in France, apparently the conditions are just right with a mix of the salt water and the fresh water from the estuarys of the Charente, la Seudre and the Grionde.

We had decided to stop so we found the Information de Tourisme, it was still open and she told me of a hotel at le Plage that had a vacancy but was not answering the phone so off we went. Found le Plage and the hotel but it was ferme on Lundi. We would go on. Now came my most famous hour. There is yet another massive bridge, this time over le Seudre Estuary and I biked the whole way over it without a single stop. The little place on the other side Ronce sur Mer had an information so we would try that. But this Office de Tourisme when we found it is ferme on Lundi. Ken was feeling somewhat frustrated, he was keen to go on but I wanted to stop so here we are once more in a camping ground .

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shrimps as well as oysters
Heart 0 Comment 0
I rode all the way over without a single stop
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,638 km (1,017 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0