Back home again - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2013

Back home again

We have been back home for a four months now and of course now the ghastly long flight is forgotten and what we remember is the fantastic trip we had as we traveled from London to Lisbon. It wasn’t easy but it certainly was interesting and stimulating and by the time we finished hills were no longer a problem. We would love to go back to Portugal but all the routes I look at seem too hot in part of the year we can get away.

Since arriving home the vineyard is in order and the grapes now a bit over a month away from picking. Over Xmas our Brisbane family was over and we took the opportunity to have a ride on one of our new cycle routes. This time we did “The Thermal Route” . This starts in Rotorua and winds its way through the active thermal areas of that central volcanic plateau. It is a three day route and very challenging in parts. The kids absolutely loved it. Although they normally do little or no cycling they are heavily involved in sport and very fit, I felt very proud of them.

Our thoughts now are turning to our European trip for this year and at present we intend flying into Dusseldorf and taking a very indirect route to Warsaw. We will go up the Rhine, the Maine, the Romantic Road, over to the Inn then to Salzburg, back to the Inn, to the Danube. Just before Vienna we will go into the Czech Republic and hence to Poland passing through Krakow and finally flying out of Warsaw. Sounds pretty exciting to me (and there should be plenty of tractors along the way). Do join us at the end of July as we start our next challenge.

Thank you for following us between London and Lisbon

Ken and Tricia

Back home to enjoy summer again
Heart 0 Comment 0
My new bike but I dont think it will get me far!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loading up the cars to go to Rotorua
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rest
Heart 0 Comment 0
We set off
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first day was about 55km all uphill so we are enjoying a rest
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was lots of interesting sights along this route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearly finished
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have made hay but there was a slight problem when it was being brought in
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ken has trimmed lots and lots of vines
Heart 1 Comment 0
The nets are all out. There are so many birds in New Zealand that if we didn't net we would get no grapes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0