From near St Nazier to Les Moutiers en Retz: Camping again - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2013

From near St Nazier to Les Moutiers en Retz: Camping again

We said goodbye to the lop eared dog and the donkey and set out on the road. It is a wiggly route that takes you along to the bridge to St Nazaire and has a suprising amount of habitation along the way but no obvious services. The Pont de Nazaire is certainly massive and I was very glad that we would not be riding over it. The cycle lane is said to be very narrow but the real problem is the wind when you are on the downhill streach. You are then going fast and every time a car passes you it momentarily blocks the wind then you are hit by a gust. When we reached the coast once more everything was in full holiday swing and we realized that getting accommodation would probably be a problem as indeed it was. At St-Brevin l’Ocean we went into the town and had a coffee and stocked up with food for lunch. The track had been relatively easy to follow, though very undulating as we went inland, however when we got the near the largish town of Pornic we lost it completely and it was as if Pornic had disappeared. After much stuffing around the GPS came to our aid and took us on a relatively sensible route back to the coast. There was an Information here but it was shut so I tried first one hotel, complet, then another I didn’t even get inside this one as there was a notice up outside. Back on the bikes and on we pressed to the next town and the Information was open. Not a hope of a hotel our Chambre d’Hote but there were several camping grounds. We are in Le Prigny with a nice pitch under an apple tree next to the swimming pool. There is plenty of shade and I have managed to find a plastic table and chairs. Ken has gone off into the village to get more supplies of food and I think I will have a swim.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge at St Nazier
Heart 0 Comment 0
It all looks very industrial
Heart 0 Comment 0
Families were out cycling
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Busy beaches
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our camping ground
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,316 km (817 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0