To St-Jean-de-Monts: Illness, heat and Traffic - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2013

To St-Jean-de-Monts: Illness, heat and Traffic

The camping last night worked out well. As well as our quiet shady spot under the apple tree we had a plastic table and two chairs which seemed the height of luxury. Ken went to the supermarket and bought pate, salads and white wine while I got some frites from the camping snack bar. It really was a good meal and what is more we slept well.

Things began to turn to custard a bit when we were packing up. Ken didn’t feel at all well (don’t worry relatives it was nothing serious) so we wondered what to do. Should we stay put? Camping didn’t appeal in the circumstances and we would like to make at least some progress if we could. In the end I got on the computer and found a hotel around 50km further on at St Jean du Mont , I quickly booked it and with that came a sense of security. About 10.30 he was feeling somewhat better so off we set aiming to get to St Jean du Mont by the shortest possible way. Lets forget about the Velodysee with its tortuous tracks, its sand and its small children wobbling all over the place. We took to the roads. As far as Bouin this worked like a dream and we stopped for a coffee and found the D758. This turned out to be one massive traffic jam. It is a small D road and I think the holiday makers must all be going to The L’ile de Noirmoutier over the Passage du Gois. We were a lot quicker than the cars as we could ride on the inside of them being stopped every now and again by massive camping cars that blocked the entire road. Eventually after the turn off we got on a somewhat quieter road but it was getting hotter and hotter and we had eaten nothing all day. Then just as I felt I could go no further the glorious sight of Le Robinson Hotel came into view. It had a sign complet but I knew better we had that magic thing a reservation! We had only done a little over 40km but both of us were stuffed. We showered and collapsed on the bed. I made a reservation somewhat futher on for tomorrow night. We have walked into the Centre Ville, visited the pharmacy bought lots and lots of fruit and vege and had a beer. The temperature is even beginning to moderate and Ken feels a lot better.

These strange little buildings with flat nets attached are all along the coast. The fishermen get into them at low tide, wait for the tide to come in the scoop up small fish which I am told are like sea snakes
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think this is what they are called
Heart 0 Comment 0
The traffic had thinned a bit here
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Fendt
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Zeta
Heart 0 Comment 0
A horse drawn hay waggon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,356 km (842 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0