Dinan to St Meen le Grand - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2013

Dinan to St Meen le Grand

We swept down the hill from Dinan to the small and charming Port de Dinan, over the the old stone bridge and along the canal, this seemed great. Along the canal on a sealed tow path, this was going to be easy. About a kilometer along we came to a grinding halt, the route was closed. Not only was it closed but even if we managed to get over the substancial barrier it looked completely impassable. Our hearts fell and Ken began to plot a cross country route as we trundled back to the bridge. On the bridge was an English man carrying a Bagette. We told him our plight and he said “You are OK we did it yesterday they have changed it to the other side of the river, it is a piece of piss”

So off we set on the correct side of the river having what was for us our first canal ride of the season. The route all day was really fantastic and once we got started well signed all the way. After several kilometers of tow path we were directed to small roads which took us across to another Voie vert, this time a rail trail. My only complaint being the lack of suitable coffee stops though we did come to an archeological dig where a group of archeologists are painstakingly exposing the remains of a1st to 3rd century Gallo-RomanVilla. Before Medreac you leave the rail trail as this part has been converted into a ‘VeloRail’ where in a contraption that looks rather like a jigger you can peddle your way along. Rather fun I suppose.

St Meen le Grand is a nice little town as our host says ‘tranquile’ and we have got, for 36 Euros, a very adequate room with a lovely view of the Hotel de Ville, which for a small town is very grand.

We have eaten a lot of gallettes. I love drinking the cidre from the cup they give you
Heart 0 Comment 0
Le Port de Dinan
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cute arrangement to pick up rubbish
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Archeologists at work!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our window
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 846 km (525 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0