Camping St Gregory to Dinan - The Tractors between London and Lisbon - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2013

Camping St Gregory to Dinan

Our camping went surprisingly well last night and I really slept soundly. What is even more suprising was that we managed to get packed up and underway in less than an hour helped by the fact that there was no dew at all. Ken did a magnificent job of navigation today. We wanted to get to Dinan and were using Michelin maps and this involved many small roads. Our first stop was at Pontorson where we had breakfast. No I am afraid our camping didn’t involve breakfast only apple juice. Then on we went through this beautiful undulating rural Britany countryside. We were on small roads all day, the traffic was very light and at no time did we feel at threat.

At one small village they were having a fete. The French certainly know how to enjoy themselves on such an occasion. It was packed with everything imaginable for sale. I have never seen so many roast chickens or such gleaming brown whole roast pigs. The smell of all the different foods felt like a meal in itself. There were numerous singers and accordion players all competing with each other for the airwaves. We settled for a coffee then on our way.

Lunch today was one of our usual ‘ditch’ lunches. This however was a very superior ditch because not only did it have good shade but unlike yesterday's ditch there were no stinging nettles and Ken had bought two delicious éclairs.

Dinan when we arrived was a long push up from the river to this ancient fortified town. You really wonder who they were so worried about to have to build such massive fortifications. The town itself is lovely with narrow streets and of course many tourists. Outside the church we met Daniella and Sylvie, Italians who had riden from near Turin, they were charming and certainly by now looked extremely fit and cycle hardened. There seem lots of good looking places to eat so I am looking forward to that.

The fete
Heart 0 Comment 0
Competing muscians
Heart 0 Comment 0
I had to put this on the only old tractor we saw all day (lots of huge modern ones) This is a Zeta, Ken has one at home but not the same model
Heart 0 Comment 0
A plastic cow pulling a cart
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fine 'ditch' lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down to the Port de Dinan from the top town
Heart 0 Comment 0
The track we will follow tomorrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Daniella and Sylvie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Dinan
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 774 km (481 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0