Valley of Fire State Park - PedalPushin Southwest 2023 - CycleBlaze

January 11, 2023

Valley of Fire State Park

What a difference one day can make. Blue skies, little to no wind, spectacular scenery … the list goes on. 

Today we made our way north towards St. George, UT but along the way we diverted to Valley of Fire State Park. We’ve been here before and even commented that we would one day like to ride this spectacular natural wonder. Today was the day. 

Time to ride …
Heart 2 Comment 0
Valley of Fire - west entrance
Heart 2 Comment 0


We started our ride 10 miles west of the park entrance and proceeded to climb for 4 miles before dropping 6 miles towards the park entrance. Very little traffic and all vehicles gave us a wide berth … must not be in the city anymore. Turning north into the park, we enjoyed / endured a short but very steep climb before topping out and riding to the end of the road. Along the way we were treated with more views and then a band of desert bighorn sheep. Needless to say, EVERY car then stopped, some of them in the road, to take their quick pictures with their phones before whisking away. We stayed for about twenty minutes trying to get some clearer pictures which I believe we did. 

Heart 9 Comment 2
Larry MitchellTo Rachael AndersonThanks
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 7 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltFantastic photo! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Charmaine RuppoltThank you
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0

Once to end of the road, we realized that sunset was only a few hours away and we had one 6 mile climb to get back. So, today, no walking around although we have hiked this area in past trips. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like buckhorn cholla

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/49354/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellThanks for the id
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride back was … long and cooling as they daytime high of 52 was slipping away quickly but we got a dream ride done with 31 miles and 3000 ft of climbing which felt very nice indeed. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 45 miles (72 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rich FrasierAmazing bighorn pics! Nice job!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellThanks … it was a real treat for us.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI love Valley of Fire but we’ve only hiked there. Impressive ride you did!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Rachael AndersonThe cycling was well worth the drive and we had only positive interactions with the cars.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago