Prologue - PedalPushin Southwest 2023 - CycleBlaze

Prologue

Our quest continues to cycle all 50 states or at least that is the excuse to continue booking plane tickets and going places to cycle.

We are targeting Nevada, Utah, California, Arizona and New Mexico this time around. Dreaming about warmth and sunshine, deserts and tumbleweeds or perhaps taking a month to escape our Alaskan winter. As we have not yet toured in January, we aren’t really sure what to expect but we are fairly confident it won’t be snow, ice and temperatures below zero with extremely limited daylight. 

Our trikes remain the same, TerraTrike Folding Travellers with small electric hub drives, and we will bring the new tires versus hoping the old ones don’t get flats on an almost daily basis. Rides in Las Vegas, Valley of Fire, St. George, Red Rock Canyon, Death Valley, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, Tucson, White Sands, Chaco Canyon and the Petrified Forest are calling our names and hopefully we will make some memories and miles from each. 

But in the meantime, while we wait, we just go around and around again on our other trikes on indoor trainers. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kelly IniguezDoes the hub motor slide under the no e bikes rule for flying? Is it a battery type issue?

If flat tires have been plaguing you, you might consider Leo's Trio. So named for the Ajo Bikes (Tucson) employee who came up with the trio. It's a flat resistant tube, a tire liner, and a Marathon Plus tire. The man who told me of Leo's Trio said he now rides through glass without care! I'm not sure that will ever happen for me, but I have added tire liners to my bikes. I have a solo instead of a trio.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Kelly IniguezKelly,

Thanks for the note. The small hub motor built into the back tire is a non issue in terms of flying. We paired that little Bafang (250w) with LiGO batteries from Grin Technologies out of Vancouver. TSA limits the watt hours of batteries to 100 watt hours, these batteries are 98 watt hours thus escaping any restrictions. They go with our carry-on and TSA didn’t even inspect them leaving Alaska or coming back from Dallas on our last trip. We carry 4 each, connect the terminals to themselves and individually put each in a ziplock. The 4 batteries can typically give us about 60+ plus miles of very minimal assist. Think of saving 1-2 gears.

I’ve got the Marathon Plus tires back on now ..l still not sure why I didn’t switch them out last time. Lesson learned.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Larry MitchellKelly … will be heading to Tucson in a few days. Probably be there 2 days. Best recommendations on the loop trail?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago