Day 14: To Brownlee Reservoir - To Hell's Canyon and Back 2006 - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2006

Day 14: To Brownlee Reservoir

I got up bright and early at 6:30 but didn't get on the road until 9. Spent too much time talking to people and looking around town. For most of the morning I followed the Powder River down to Baker City, losing 2100 feet elevation. Surprisingly, the forest lasted almost to Baker City (elevation 3449 feet).

Phillips Lake, near Sumpter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Highway 7 is squeezed into the valley with the Powder river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quick snap of downtown Baker City.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI was on a bike trip that went through Baker City and surrounding mountains years ago - very scenic.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
The area around Baker City has huge amounts of irrigation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Blue mountains loom over Baker City.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Powder River doesn't seem like a big river but somehow the Baker City area has huge amounts of irrigated pastures. The green fields are a stark contrast to the surrounding brown hillsides.

I stopped for lunch and groceries in Baker City, then pressed on to the east on highway 86. Many more miles to go today. 5 miles east of Baker City the irrigation ends and the land becomes very brown and barren. Mostly sagebrush, widely spaced. 10 miles east of Baker City I stopped at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. The museum is 1 mile off the highway, a 300 foot climb. The museum had interesting exhibits. I appreciated the air conditioning on a hot afternoon with no natural shade.

A Prairie Schooner at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Museum east of Baker City. This is typical of the wagons that settlers took on the Oregon trail starting in the 1850's.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Passing to the south of the Wallowa mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Eventually the road rejoins the Powder River and I started seeing occasional irrigated fields. I had a nice swim in the Powder river which was very warm at 3000 feet elevation. The route goes near the south flank of the Wallowa mountains.

Nice setting for a farm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The road follows the Powder River down to Hell's Canyon (the Snake River).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evening sun near Richland.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was 7:45 PM when I arrived at the campground at Brownlee Reservoir (2100 feet elevation), 3 miles east of Richland. It was a long day but the evening biking was great. Mostly downhill with a slight tailwind. Wide open views enhanced by the sun setting behind me.

The campground is far from great, however. I was required to set up my tent on a sloping gravel pad. No tents allowed on the lush (irrigated) level grass. And there were mosquitoes. $11 for a tent site plus $2 for a shower. It was very warm in the evening. 75F at 10:30PM. Today had a high temperature of about 95F. Not a cloud in the sky all day.

Distance: 77.4 mi. (123.8 km)

Climbing: 1510 ft. (458 m)

Average Speed: 11.4 mph (18.2 km/h)

Maximum Speed: 39.0 mph (62.4 km/h)

Today's ride: 77 miles (124 km)
Total: 617 miles (993 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0