Day 13: To Sumpter - To Hell's Canyon and Back 2006 - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2006

Day 13: To Sumpter

The weather was sunny and warm when I got on the road at 8:40 AM. A couple miles east of town the road turns away from the John Day river and begins the 1700 foot climb to Dixie summit. Behind me were impressive views of the Strawberry mountains.

Good view of the Strawberry mountains when starting the climb to Dixie summit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A group of motorcyclists adds action to my final view of the Strawbery mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Taking a photo break at Dixie summit.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Shortly after Dixie summit is a 1000 foot climb to Tipton Summit, then an 800 foot climb to Larch summit.

Ghost town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Late in the afternoon the sky became overcast. It looked like it could rain any minute when I rolled into Sumpter (4424 feet elevation) just before 5 PM in a sudden burst of traffic because a huge flea market just closed. The only in-town tent camping is at the Stockade hostel. Shortly after I arrived it started raining very heavily. That convinced me to get a bunk in the hostel rather than camp. It rained for 3 hours with the temperature in the 60's. A very significant temperature drop. While it was raining I spent a long time talking (and eating and drinking) with a native American couple that were set up in a teepee selling Indian fry bread and chili.

I took the Sumpter pictures the next morning when the sun was shining.

The Stockade Hostel in Sumpter is a good place to take refuge from a thunderstorm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Narrow gauge train depot in Sumpter. The former ore train is now a tourist train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elkhorn Saloon in Sumpter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sumpter museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today had a lot of climbing but it was nice to spend most of the day in forest again after three days in the arid John Day river valley. Here the forest starts at 4500 feet elevation. Back in the Ochoco mountains the forest starts at 3500 feet elevation. It's getting gradually drier as I go east.

The hostel has about 30 bunks in a giant room. Fortunately only 2 other bunks were occupied. It was very quiet. The high temperature was only 85F. Definitely cooler as I climb into the forested zone.

Distance: 46.0 mi. (73.6 km)

Climbing: 3894 ft. (1180 m)

Average Speed: 7.3 mph (11.7 km)

Maximum Speed: 39.8 mph (63.7 km/h)

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 540 miles (869 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0