Day 15: To Hell's Canyon campground - To Hell's Canyon and Back 2006 - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2006

Day 15: To Hell's Canyon campground

It was already warm and sunny when I got on the road at 9 AM. From the lake the only way out is uphill. 1.5 miles up to get back to hwy 86. Then a hot shadeless 1400 foot climb to the summit that separates Richland from Halfway. The descent to Halfway was very scenic.

Descending to the town of Halfway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still closer to the town of Halfway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I ate lunch in Halfway. It's a nice town with great views of the Wallowa mountains. I would have checked email at the library if they weren't closed for the 4th of July holiday.

Downtown Halfway has an imposing view of the Wallowa mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Craftsman-style house in Halfway.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After Halfway the road follows Pine Creek down to Hell's Canyon.

Pine Valley ranch sprawls from Richland to Hell's Canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pine Creek and highway 86.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road crosses the Snake River at the community of Oxbow (1700 feet elevation). It's a company town for Idaho Power which runs 3 hydroelectric dams on the Snake river. I'm now in the state of Idaho but Oregon is always visible across the lake.

Finally in Hell's Canyon. On the Idaho side looking at the Oregon side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was hot. There was a lake. And a rope swing. I had to partake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hell's Canyon reservoir.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Hell's Canyon Campground is 7 hilly miles past the bridge. It's a park run by Idaho Power with irrigated grass and a peculiar rule that forbids plastic sheets under tents. I arrived at 4 PM and it was 95F and very humid. Clouds were rapidly building. I set up my tent in dense shade and rested to cool down.

Irrigated grass ahead. That must be the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A storm blew through in the evening. Lightning and high winds, but only a few drops of rain. Perhaps the rain evaporated before it reached the ground. It was still hot after the storm. Fortunately there were very few insects so I left my tent open all night in order to be cooler.

Distance: 38.2 mi. (61.1 km)

Climbing: 2080 ft. (630 m)

Average Speed: 8.9 mph (14.2 km/h)

Maximum Speed: 40.5 mph (64.8 km/h)

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 655 miles (1,054 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0