In the footsteps of a legend - Northeast Minnesota 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2023

In the footsteps of a legend

Day 07: Baxter/Brainerd to Hackensack

This is how we spent today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

TODAY'S THEME was definitely the larger-than-life story of Paul Bunyan.  With the exception of about a quarter mile to get onto the trail, and two and a half miles between the trail and our lodging for the night, we spent the entire day on the Paul Bunyan Trail.  Apart from the unavoidable horizontal cracks at various points along the trail, it'd be hard to improve on this route.

There were a few other trail users besides us, but for the most part we had the place to ourselves.  This was perhaps due to the chilly temperatures at the start: the overnight low got down to just above 40, but we waited until the temperature had reached about 50 before setting off.

Our numbers are diminished today, at least temporarily, because one of the group has tested positive for COVID.  We hope he'll be able to rejoin us in a few days, after he's isolated until he's no longer contagious.

These two were headed the opposite way to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As far as the riding goes, it's easy enough since the Paul Bunyan Trail follows the track of an old rail line.  The grades are never more than two percent, and generally less than one.  Most of the way we're among the trees, so it's like riding in a long, open-top tunnel.

Serenity takes a rest.
Heart 1 Comment 4
Kelly IniguezYou have panniers in the front only. Is that an experiment, or something you typically do? I have no opinion, I’m just asking the question, as the placement isn’t real typical.

Thank you for the photo.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Kelly IniguezThey're just there to carry light stuff: windbreaker, rainy gear, tights, and the like. I think of this set as front panniers because that's where they go when I have both front and rear sets mounted, so I suppose it's force of habit that caused me to put them there.

If they had more weight in them I'd probably shift them to the rear rack but as it is I think the handlebar bag has more effect on handling than the panniers so what the heck.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
George HallNice looking bike. I also ride with front panniers only when the weight and volume of the load isn't too big, just to help with the weight distribution since more is usually carried by the rear wheel anyway.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith AdamsTo George HallThanks. The more I ride this bike the more pleased I get. Since I began with "extremely pleased" that's saying a lot.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
I chased this guy all day, never did catch him.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Mark BinghamTry again in the morning. :-)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Mark Bingham:)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
What else needs to be said?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panorama of one of the 10,000 lakes in Minnesota, from the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical scenery along the Paul Bunyan Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical scenery along the Paul Bunyan Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We pass through only a couple of towns, but they're rich in interesting little quirks and oddities.  And of course, loads of Paul Bunyan related items.

Heart 0 Comment 0
With Babe.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It's not *all* Paul Bunyan up here, of course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pequot Lake's fish-bobber water tower.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A clever bench.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltLove that S'mores bench! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Charmaine RuppoltYes- isn't it clever, and cute?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Paul Bunyan's footsteps.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Jim W with Babe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting "horses"pull this Conestoga wagon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Colonel Cobber figures in a Paul Bunyan tale. The grass skirt and sunglasses are a nice added touch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This signal reminds me of a giant wind-up key.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A few of the cars in a graveyard for antiques.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Gretchen CarlsonToo bad someone doesn't have the time and money for restoration
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Gretchen CarlsonThey'd make great projects, wouldn't they?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Babe sighting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gift of the Hackensack Lion's Club, of course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beaver lodge. I saw a couple of beaver-gnawed trees a couple days ago but other evidence of their presence has eluded me.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Gretchen CarlsonWe used to hike an area near Cheyenne that had beaver lodges.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith AdamsTo Gretchen CarlsonI've seen several more since posting this photo, but since they all look similar I've refrained from additional shots.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our accommodations tonight are not the typical hotel.  Instead, we're in an old resort, occupying two of the cabins.  This creates a much more communal atmosphere, and the group responds by hanging out in the common area much more than usual.  We eat a lovely home-cooked dinner prepared by Carol with help from Nettie and Rose, then sit around the table conversing.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltFits photos of banded mystery snail... Strange name!

https://inaturalist.ca/taxa/1371717-Callinina-georgiana
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

A D shares the story of his Victorian home, which he spent many years updating and renovating.  Jim W and John, both involved in various aspects of the lumber, millwork, and wood-related products industries, have a lengthy conversation about various aspects of the business and associated topics.

Rose and I have an enjoyable time talking about furniture refinishing; she's kind enough to show interest in the photos of some of my projects.  Jim A and I talk about visiting Gettysburg, Antietam, and Fredericksburg National Battlefields.  Nettie joins us, and the topic shifts to tours in southside Virgnina.

With everyone else dispersed and in their rooms, Jim W and I repair to the kitchen (where there are enough power outlets for his needs, and a marginally better internet connection for me) to wrap up our respective journal entries for the day.  It's a wonderful way to wrap up a really enjoyable day.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 294 miles (473 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
George HallI really enjoyed my experience on the Minnesota trails along the Northern Tier route. Maybe some day I'll return and make a loop ride utilizing the trails.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith AdamsTo George HallThe trails here are great riding. Worth the trip, I'd say.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago