Rio Dulce - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 2, 2021

Rio Dulce

The heavens opened last night and I was worried that the kilometer and a half of dirt road back to the main road would be a bit of a challenge this morning.  But it seems that it is well drained and there was very little mud to negotiate.

Finca Ixobel lies one and a half kilometers down a quiet road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on the main road we had some downhill to start off with followed by a stiff climb.  Then another long downhill.  After that lots of shorter sharper climbs giving us well over eight hundred meters of climbing for the day.  The descents came in at five hundred meters more than that but we always felt the threat of a stiff climb was never far away.

At supper this evening I asked Leigh what I should put in my journal today and she said "We got on our bikes and we rode and we rode, stopping only to eat banana bread now and then".  It's a pretty good summary.  The loaf of banana bread was bought from Finca Ixobel and was a great energy source throughout the day. 

Today's countryside was similar to the route between Flores and Poptun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The nearest we think we will get to Belize. It's just a few kilometers away over those hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a hundred kilometers or so we arrived in Rio Dulce, sometime after three o'clock.  The town is a mess but we knew that it would be when we made our plans.  It is really just a place to jump off to the attractions near by.

We took the first hotel we could find, the Posada del Rio.  We didn't have the energy to look for anything else.  It is right next to the bridge over the river so hopefully all the heavy good vehicles would have slowed down enough not to have to use their air brakes.  It's noisy enough without the trucks and they seem noisy enough even without their air brakes.

The one positive is that the hotel restaurant has a Chinese menu so we have enjoyed a bit of variation in our diet - some chow mein and a curry, both of which were pretty good.

Today's ride: 105 km (65 miles)
Total: 2,051 km (1,274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0