Finca Ixobel, near Poptún - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

October 31, 2021 to November 1, 2021

Finca Ixobel, near Poptún

October 31st, 2021

Hotel Discovery gave us a good night's sleep despite the noise of heavy goods vehicles using their air brakes as they approached the speed hump just outside the hotel.  What we call speed humps in South Africa as formally referred to as "traffic calming measures" (in effect driver frustration measures).  They are known as tumulos here in Guatemala and topos back in Mexico

Today was only sixty kilometers but by the time we had reached Poptún we felt like we had a done a hundred.   The difference between the highest and lowest points for the day was only three hundred meters and we only gained two hundred and fifty meters from the start of the day with just over seven hundred and fifty meters of climbing in total.  On the bicycle it seemed that we spent much of the day having to working hard with few chances to recover.  None the less, it was an enjoyable ride.

The counrtyside through which we cycled today was round and lumpy in an attractive sort of way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Guatemalans cemeteries can be quite elaborate.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were a number of vendors along the road selling chopped up fruit, something we have been missing for a while.  So we stopped twice to enjoy bits of papaya, sweet melon, water melon and pineapple.  Its a juicy mix of sweet and sour and quite refreshing.  As we approached Poptún we spied a nice looking comedor and spent almost an hour there enjoying a lunch of the traditional breakfast of eggs, re-fried beans and tortillas.  When we got back on the bicycle to do the last few kilometers to Finca Ixobel we moved at snail's pace.

Finca Ixobel is a few kilometers out of Poptún and is as quiet as last night's digs was loud.  I suspect we might take a break here for a day, not only because we are a bit knackered but also because the birding could be good (if I only had the energy to pick up my binoculars).

November 1st, 2021

We were pretty knackered at the end of yesterday's ride so we decided to take a rest day today.  And what a lucky place to take a rest because the one group of birds we have been struggling with during our Central America trip is parrots. Today we nailed two of them, including the one we have really wanted to see, Scarlet Macaw (Ara macao). We also got Olive-throated Parakeet (Eupsittula nana) but that was almost just a side-show.

Olive-throated Parakeet (Eupsittula nana)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scarlet Macaw (Ara macao). The length of its tail made fitting it in a bit difficult.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

I also used the opportunity to borrow some tools from the workshop on the finca so that I could loosen, re-grease and re-tighten the crank bolts on my bicycle.  They had started to squeak on the some of the sharp climbs we have had here in Gautemala.  Leigh's bicycle's front hub doesn't sound too well and I suspect its bearings need looking at.  I'm not really in a position to do much about that so hopefully it will hang in until we are near a decent bicycle shop again.

This evening has been pretty cold and we are wrapped up in warm clothing again for the first time since we descended from the high altitudes near Mexico City.  We are only at five and and fifty meters above sea level and it's not what we expected now that we are closer to the equator.

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,946 km (1,208 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0