Nuevo Moleros - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2021 to October 2, 2021

Nuevo Moleros

October 1st, 2021

Our cheap hotel gave us a good night's sleep and we headed out at around seven thirty.  The road oscillated between busy and quiet while the road conditions varied between excellent and dodgy.  All in all a pretty normal day on the road.

There are a lot more trees where we can cool off in the shade than there were a week ago. Thank goodness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Oaxaca and crossing into Veracruz. Leigh makes sure she records the moment.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just outside Nuevo Morelos we came upon a row of young Sardonegro bulls tethered to a railing.  These black and white Bos indicus type cattle are so easy on the eye.  They remind me of the Nguni cattle in South Africa.  While looking at them an attractive young lady in immaculate cowboy dress came down to speak to me while some farm hands led the cattle away.  The wealthy in Mexico look quite different from the working classes.

A row of young Sardonegro bulls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful animals.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We stopped a few times to take in the birds along the way.

Great Egret (Ardea alba). We passed two roosts today. Also lots of Western Cattle Egrets on some Water Buffalo - I should have stopped and photographed them.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Green Heron (Butorides virescens), the American sister species of Striated Heron which appears throughout much of the rest of the world.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWhat a wonderful shot!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomThanks Scott. The money shot should have been when it had crept all the way down the branch and nabbed an insect off the surface of the water but at that moment it head was behind a twig on the branch.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Our home for the next two nights is a bit more luxurious than usual cycle touring digs, the Real Inn Nuevo Morelos, yet is surprisingly affordable.  We will rest and work here before pushing on to the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday and Monday.

Heart 1 Comment 0

October 2nd, 2021

We managed to get some good work done today, along a with few swims and a bit of bird watching.

While out birding I struck up a conversation with a farmhand from the property next door who was moving some Sardonegro cattle to another field.  Interestingly, he was the first person who has responded with "pero tu eres blanco" (but you are white) when I told him we were from South Africa.  This is the common response in Asia, although much of the time we just get a blank stare because so many folk there have no clue that South Africa even exists.

Brown jay (Psilorhinus morio)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great Kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus). Seldom out of earshot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inca Dove (Columbina inca). One of the most commonly seen and heard birds in Mexico.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Social Flycatcher (Myiozetetes similis)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 868 km (539 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0