The Road from Mandalay - Unmettled Roads - CycleBlaze

October 31, 2019

The Road from Mandalay

Tada-U to Myingyan

The Road from Mandalay

October 30, 2019  Mandalay to Tada-U  16 miles

There are, of course, many roads leading away from Mandalay.  We chose the road to the small town of Tada-U and part of it passed next to so many old temples (called pagodas in Myanmar) that I was convinced it must have been an old pilgrimage route or the route to the ancient capital of Ava also called Inn Wa.  Riding only 16 miles to Tada-U meant we would be able to shorten the next day’s ride.  A major concern when planning a route in Myanmar is finding out ahead of time if there is a hotel licensed to accept foreigners in that particular town.  Often there are no hotels for foreigners and the towns that have one are often too far apart for us to ride in a day.  Add heat, humidity, poor road surface and things get dicey real fast.  

A typical roadside scene in Myanmar. It's a country filled with pagodas. People put up the money to build one in order to gain merit so as to have a better life next time around.
Heart 9 Comment 0

Tada-U sits just south of Inn Wa close enough that once we got situated in our hotel room we decided to take a leisurely late afternoon ride to see the ancient site.   As it turned out there wasn’t a lot to see at Inn Wa besides an enormous building in quite good condition called the Me Nu Brick Monastery, not far from the banks of the Irrawaddy River.  

Me Nu Brick Monastery in Inn-Wa around 150 years old. There is a doorway but the building is really rather solid brick with only a tight corridor through it to the other side.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A pagoda inside the Inn-Wa archaeological site boundaries.
Heart 5 Comment 0
From the banks of the Irrawaddy River at Inn-Wa looking back towards Mandalay. One of the few bridges over the Irrawaddy in the country. A railway bridge too.
Heart 8 Comment 0

The best part of our ride was listening to the bird song, dodging cows and goats, looking at flowers everywhere and marveling at all the huge trees some covered in flowers as well.  There were horse carts carrying dusty tourists and where there are lots of tourists there are always vendors.  

Broom material.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Vendors, horse carts and all things touristy at one of the ancient capitals, Inn-Wa.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonYes, this looks like quite the tourist trap alright.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
A fancy horse cart no doubt used for special ceremonies such as when boys or men decide to become monks.
Heart 7 Comment 0

One vendor wanted to sell me an 1888 American silver dollar.  She said it had been found in the river and I wondered why an American silver dollar would be in the Irrawaddy.  A British coin from that era was way more likely.  She wanted $10 for it but we walked away to see the monastery building.  Upon return the woman had come down to $7 and quickly to $5 and then $4 and as we walked out the gate she yelled $3.  I guess it wasn’t real.  But it was a great fake.  

On the way back to our hotel room we stopped to watch a group of kids playing with tops.  They would get them spinning in the dust and then they would loop the string around the base and fling the top into the air and catch it in the palm of their hand still spinning.  From all the failures it seemed to be a very difficult feat.  Each kid was vying for our attention as well as competing for the best palm spinning.  Strangely it was much more fun and refreshing than tromping up to an ancient solid brick building with no entrance with a bunch of grim- faced dusty tourists.  Even my fake interest in a fake coin was more of an interaction with the local people than those tourists were having.  It was as if the tourists in horse carts were going through the motions of being tourists in horse carts as if they had an obligation to play the part.  I, on the other hand, was going through the motions of bargaining for a fake coin because that was what was expected of me however she and I both knew it was a game.  The kids with tops, on the other hand, were real.  

One of the kids involved in entertaining us with their spinning tops.
Heart 10 Comment 0

Once again we were happy to have the bikes because bikes trump horse carts and get us to the real.  The road back to our hotel was bathed in warm pre-sunset light and the enormous trees that lined the road were like giant comforting hands.  We felt in good hands that first night on the road.  

There are a lot of tree-lined roads like this in Myanmar. The really huge trees were planted by the British over a hundred years ago.
Heart 9 Comment 0

October 31, 2019  Tada-U to Myingyan   50 Miles

Fifty miles is not that much but we knew the day was going to be hot so we slipped out of our hotel room right at 6AM and without breakfast we hit the humid road.  The humidity was so high, (and coming from an air conditioned room), my mirror fogged over.  I stopped to take a photo of a pagoda bathed in warm light and realized my camera lens was taking its own bath of sorts.  The lens was completely fogged.  It was actually so humid and warm already that I thought at first it was worse to start out early.  

Just another roadside attraction of which there are many in Myanmar.
Heart 4 Comment 0

That thought fizzled because within a couple of hours the temperature had already reached 90F (32C).  The humidity was 87%.  We couldn’t believe how hot it was so early.  At first there were some shade trees and the road wasn’t in horrible condition.  But then little hills kept popping up, the road surface deteriorated, shade trees disappeared and we were sweating profusely.  Fortunately there were little stores that had water.  We drank and drank and then we thought that plain water wasn’t going to keep us from heat stroke so we dumped electrolytes into our water bottles and the road kept doing its rising and falling, not a lot but irritating just the same.  Our panniers reflected the beginning of a trip - a lot of extra weight in the form of Cliff Bars, razors, dental floss, vitamins and deodorant.  These are the things you think about when you are sweating more than you can ever remember in your life, as if jettisoning some Q-tips would make any difference.  The landscape as well is not so interesting when you are thinking you might keel over.  There wasn’t a cloud in the sky.  I found myself wishing for rain.  

A bit of road "mettling".
Heart 9 Comment 0
Getting hotter.
Heart 4 Comment 0

At one of our stops for water we shared a bottle and gave the empty back to the old man.  He did a double take when he saw that it was already empty - a look I’ll never forget.

We stopped at a tea shop and had a hard time getting going again.

We stopped at a roadside hut with shade and a two guys on a motorbike stopped.  One of them was a monk and he came over to us asking for 2000 Kyat.  He motioned that his friend’s  gas tank was nearly empty.  I walked over to peer into the blackness and I gave the monk the 2000 Kyat.  Again, an expression I will never forget.  As I gave him what he wanted I watched as his face changed from concern to one of relief but it was also a recognition that he had communicated with the foreigner and was proud of his accomplishment.  That look was well worth $1.30.  

We were making horrible time.

I made an abrupt stop to photograph a tree and when I was finished I saw on the ground right next to me a dead bat.  I asked Andrea if it was some sort of bad sign.  She said, “No, bats are good.  It’s Halloween, that’s your sign.”  Wow, what a specific sign! 

We stopped for a late lunch and were so weary we ate whatever they had, something we never do in Myanmar especially so late in the day.   We asked for fried rice but we got plain rice and an array of little dishes that had been already prepared who knows when.  They were delicious.

Our lunch stop.
Heart 10 Comment 0

Then we rode on but the road had become a blast furnace.  In the sun Andrea told me it was 110F (43 C).  Combined with that 87% humidity it felt like at least 118F (47C).  An oven.  The road conditions had not changed and maybe gotten a little worse.  It was becoming dangerous.  I was losing energy and finally around 2PM I had to stop in the little shade we could find; under a group of thorn bushes.  All I wanted to do was lie down but there were thorn branches everywhere as well as other stickery things.  We couldn’t continue on so we crouched there for almost two hours.  I was feeling really awful and worried that I’d have my fifth bout with heat stroke.  I was really worried because I figure I can’t survive another.  Andrea gave me Tylenol and because I never take any drugs of any kind I started to feel a lot better quickly.  

At 4PM we decided to go for it.  We still had 20 miles to go but the temperature had dropped a couple of degrees and the road was more downhill.  It was a hellish day but we made it to Myingyan just before sunset.  

I like these sinks outside garages. This one is at our hotel in Myingyan.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The hotel staff was definitely not accustomed to tourists so there was a lot of confusion but as we have seen over and over in Myanmar, the hospitality of the people is simply amazing.   From not letting us carry one thing to our room including our bicycles to then gently knocking on our door to deliver two plates of cut fruit and two ice cold bottles of water, the Burmese are the best.  I just wish the government cared about their own people such as building them better roads.

lovebruce

This is a strange contraption which I believe has something to do with when the electricity cuts out (often) and the hotel generator takes over.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 91 miles (146 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 16
Scott AndersonScary day. We’ve been worried a bit for you once we heard how long this day would be.

Surprised, a bit disappointed that you didn’t pick up that coin for your fake dollar collection. You do have one of those too, surely?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rachael AndersonYou guys are amazing! You are definitely tougher than I am. We bicycled in the Siskiyous in 1991 where the temperature was 112 but it wasn’t humid. Hope you don’t have any residual effect from your ride.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonHow did you know? Yes, I do have a fake coin collection of one. It is a fake old French silver coin I got in Laos years ago. It is very similar to the American silver dollar. I can't remember if I was faked out or not when I bought it. It was cheap.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanI knew it!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnWhew! Glad you made it to Myingyan.

This sounded way too much like Undaunted Porridge day 3, which was quite awful.

Sorry you had such a long and brutally hot day so early in the tour.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekIf it was an actual 1888 US silver dollar it was probably a Morgan, which might be worth around $20-$30 in average condition.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekAlso, blah on the heat! Hopefully it'll cool for you guys!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Scott AndersonActually, Scott, does one really make a collection? This is something best debated over coffee sometime. A collection of one....hmmm...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Ron SuchanekOh great, now I wish I had bought it! One never knows does one? I was trying to tap it to see if it had that silver ring but even if I had been able to I had no idea what that silver ring would sound like. I need to be more educated on a lot of things.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanI probably would have suspected a fake as you did, but my dad had one of those 1888 Morgans when he died, so your post rang a bell.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanGood question, and good suggestion. In the meantime, I’ll collect my thoughts.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kat MarrinerDamn, that is some heat. I know I am behind in your journey, but I hope this doesn’t become the tour d’heat like your last trip with rain. So 50 MILES in that heat and humidity on day 2 of riding is simply badass.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Frank RoettgenI really admire the way you are describing the two different types of tourists while being at Inn-Wa, Bruce. You are using the word obligation and I couldn´t agree more. I believe we western tourists have an obligation to deliver something to the locals too - ourselves. In the meaning of being approachable. I was assured many times now in some tiny village between Sukhothai and Ayutthaya, between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap or between Luang Prabang and Vientiane how much the rural people actually enjoy being able to inspect "us" from close, to stare at us how we eat and listen to our voices without understanding a word. It is an obligation that tour groups very often infringe upon.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Frank RoettgenExactly. I tell Bruce that we are here to entertain, and with our weird little bikes and strange looks we certainly “oblige”! We do a lot of self-deprecatory humor to break the ice too. This would fall flat in many parts of the world I’m afraid, but not in SE Asia.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Frank RoettgenTo Andrea BrownExactly, Andrea! If I would smile and wave to as many young schoolgirls back home I would be serving 5 years imprisonment now...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Kat MarrinerThank you, Kat. We have you and Willie to thank for being badass, if in fact we are.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago