What is this? Why are you doing this? FAQs - NZ lad riding coast-to-coast in the US - CycleBlaze

What is this? Why are you doing this? FAQs

This has been in the back of my mind for about 3 years, and I figured I would have to make an opportunity to make time for it, so I started making solid plans and started asking for the time off almost a year in advance.

For people who don't know me: I'm Luke, I'm 25, from Christchurch NZ, and I enjoy bike touring and cycling in general, though I've never done something quite to this scale. My partner, Natalie, and I have ridden a few tours together and she's joining me for part of this big one.

I'm taking 3 months to travel some cities in the US and ride my bike from coast to coast. Natalie's gonna join me for around the first month, as we visit NYC and DC, and then bike from the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia, across the Appalachian Mountains into Kentucky. Natalie has to head home then but I'll continue across the Great Plains and the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean, mostly alone but I'm sure to meet people along the way.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We fly into NYC from Christchurch, New Zealand on the 8th of May, and we're bound to be jetlagged for a while but we've got about 5 days to sight-see and recover before starting the ride.

We're following the TransAmerica Bicycle Trail with some deviations I'll explain later. I'll continue on after Natalie returns home until I reach Astoria, Oregon at the Pacific Ocean. Then I'll fly back home to Christchurch via San Francisco in early August.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How long will this take?

The whole trip will take just shy of 90 days. Probably around about 75 days of cycling.

How long is the trail?

After some modifications to the official route to see friends and avoid some of the worst reviewed areas I expect just under 7000km of cycling.

Why the TransAm / Why the US?

I've wanted to do a long-distance bike tour for a while now and this is one of the most popular routes in the world. I considered Europe instead but I'm more interested in seeing the huge range of nature in the US. If I catch the travel bug from this I'm sure I'll head off to Europe or somewhere else next.

Why are you writing this journal?

I'm mostly writing it for myself. I want to look back on this in a year, 5 years, 20, and remember those small moments that make a bike tour special. Some friends and family and co-workers have asked me if I'm doing something like a journal or videos. Someone suggested I should do IRL streaming but that's going to be a bit too much work keeping cameras charged and connected. If it all goes well I'll be adding my daily map to each entry, to add that geospatial component that my coworkers may appreciate.

What are you using for accommodation?

I'm strapping my tent to my bike for self-supported bike touring. There are a lot of hostels and motels along the route for when the need arises and I'm sure I'll want a real bed and shower. I'm planning to make good use of WarmShowers too to stay at host's homes when they're available.

What section are you most excited about?

I am most excited about the Western mountain areas in the Rockies. Yellowstone National Park is right on the route but I think the place I am most excited about is Lolo Pass, between Montana and Idaho. I have heard the climb is beautiful with hot springs all around the area and then it's multiple days of downhill off the Rockies almost all the way across Idaho.

What if you can't bike to the West Coast in time?

Sure, that's a risk. I'll improvise. If it takes more than about 78 days I have a few plan Bs for taking trains or rental cars or flights or shortcuts in the west. If I don't want to or can't continue on the bike I will tackle that when I get to it.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Jonathan HechtPortland is a long way away in both time and distance, but it’s where I live. I have an extra room, a garage for prepping a bike for travel, and I’m convenient to the airport. I also know some good pubs and coffee shops. And while I don’t promise I’ll be here when you finish your trip, let’s keep in touch.

PS: My best friend is traveling your country (by car) right now and experiencing wonderful hospitality, just like I received a long time ago when I cycled the south island. It’s only fitting that I pay it forward if I can.

Jonathan
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Luke ParkinsonTo Jonathan HechtKia ora Jonathan,
That sounds amazing. I have a hostel booked for now but I'm not too sure about it. I just wanted to get somewhere near a bike shop sorted early so I don't have to worry about the logistics of getting a bike box. But it has free cancellation and I might like some local knowledge so I'll keep in touch with you as I approach Portland around late-July.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jonathan HechtSounds good. And I know every bike shop in town and have a car big enough to carry any size box!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeff LeeHey Luke,

Congratulations on choosing to do the trip in the correct direction: East to West!

That's how I did the TransAm, and most of the other long USA tours I've done. You'll have your share of tailwinds, and it's much nicer to have the sun at your back, instead of in your eyes, in the morning.

I live in Kentucky, not that far from the route where it goes through Sebree. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about the Kentucky portion, or anything else.

Jeff
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David HendersonLuke, my wife and I just spent 2 weeks touring around the South Island of New Zealand. Had a wonderful time hiking, paddling, and biking
I am starting the Transamerica myself at the beginning of May. Hope to see you at some point
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Andrea BrownWelcome to the states, and like Jonathan, we live in Portland. Hit us up if you need anything when you get to town. Best of luck and have a wonderful ride.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonSounds like a wonderful trip! We also are from Portland, OR but after we retired we sold our place and hit the road. Too bad we won’t be in Portland when you get there. We’ve also bike toured in New Zealand 30 years ago and really enjoyed it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago