Introduction - Low Bridge - CycleBlaze

Introduction

Sooner or later, probably sooner, the first will be last.

This, for me, is an extra-ordinary self supported bike trip filled with firsts and perhaps a last.

The ride starts in Buffalo, New York and ends in Albany or perhaps Boston - the itinerary is still being hashed out by MJ and Jen (to be introduced). But the ride first intended was the Via Francigena pilgrims' route from Canterbury to Rome but then the third/forth (?) covid wave hit Europe and we called it off. For those who are adventuring abroad, a cautionary tale. In March this year my daughter and family flew to Paris and all four tested positive at the end. My daughter was hard quarantined in a Paris hotel for 10 days. The rest didn’t tested positive until landing back home in Portland and self isolated for the required period. All were vaccinated none got seriously ill but ill nonetheless. 

MJ had already scheduled her time off at her clinic, which could not be changed easily. She read an article in the NYT travel section about New York State bike trails and picked the Erie Canal bike path. It will be the first time we have toured together in the US in 13 years. 

And speaking of 13 years, our 13 year old grandson, Walton, asked to ride along. This is probably the first year he will be capable of keeping up with his grandfather and at 75 it may well be the last year the family patrone will be able to keep up with Walton.*  A sweet spot, if you will, as the siren call of the road is transferred across the generations.

The wind up calls for the three of us to fly to NYC and stay a day or so at Po’s (my son) place in Brooklyn to set up the bikes, then take the train to Buffalo.  Po and Jen asked to join us with their bikes for a few days of navigating the Erie Canal. So our original old folks’ European pilgrimage has become a three generation family affair. This is what “journeys” are made of although MJ is doing her level best to make it a very itinerarated trip.

Please join us as we ride along the towpath of the Big Ditch and beyond.

_______

* I am well aware that this passing of the leader's bidon may well occur during this tour. Everyone else passes me!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan CarpenterWhat a delight to have three generations cycling together on the Erie Canal. I rode most of the canal last June and look forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago