The Meaning of Life? - Grampies Search for the Meaning of Life Spring 2022 - CycleBlaze

April 6, 2022

The Meaning of Life?

All living things start out  with an instinctual desire to live.  They don't have to think about it, and they don't question it.  The baby's first cry is a quest for breathe, and then food and warmth, and soon - love.  The baby "knows" it wants to live, and it knows what it needs to do that.

But sooner or later, often as early as the teenage years, the questions arise "Why am I here?", "What am I living for?", or generally "What is the meaning or purpose of life?".

Fortunately nowadays when we have a deep question we can ask Google! And if it's really deep, then google will refer us to Wikipedia. So, Wikipedia, "What is the meaning of life?"

Surprisingly, or maybe not surprisingly, the answer is not simple (and it certainly is not "42")!  The full Wikipedia answer, not including hyperlinks and of course the contents of the works in the extensive bibliography, runs to 40 pages.  But good news, cycling fans, I am not going to ask you to read 40 pages. Still, whichever committee came up with the entry did a very good job.  It seems that life has to do with a lot of philosophical stuff, maybe with religion, maybe with physics, maybe biology.  One thing is clear, people have been wondering about it for a long time and have come up with many answers, mostly all different.

Fine, so what has this to do with Grampies and cycle touring?  Well, read on...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 17
Comment on this entry Comment 22
Jacquie GaudetGlad to hear you two are off again! I hope you are more ready than we are but that's a pretty low bar.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sue PriceYay for another Grampies adventure! Hoping this one has a little less excitement and a lot more fun!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamI wanted to be the first to post on your new blog but I missed!
It sounds a great trip with a lovely easy start down the Elbe, you will coast all thewayto Hamburg and on to the North Sea
Bon Route
Tricia
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen ClassenHooray! We are so happy Dodie has recovered enough (is that different from completely?) so keep the rubber on the road and have an amazing time. We will be following along.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Roger PurdueSorry to hear about Dodie's accident. But I gather from your intro (Meaning of Life - didn't Monty Python already appropriate that title?) that your instinctual reaction is to cycle. Very impressive, Steve and Dodie! I'm sure the roads in Germany are excellent...but I'm not sure about the drivers. Safe cycling! And keep spinning your tale!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonMeaning of life? Why are we here? Well, to ride our bikes of course. Looking forward to your adventures, and especially when you get to Munich! Bis dann!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetWhen you see the route in a post coming soon, you will note a fair bit of toying with the Alps, about which we are doubtful. But there is always the train!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamYes, we are looking at the Elbe as a training track, and we'll stick to rivers in the first half. By the second half of the ride we'll either be frazzled or in great shape for the Alps.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenWe used amazon.de and sent a pile of Magura brake pads ahead to Leipzig. We are set to take it slow and easy.

Dodie is not actually 100%, but there are some advantages. For example she does not remember Mexico, so she can be fearless (but cautious!) again.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Roger PurdueWe should be able to build on Monty Python's lame effort!

We do like Germany because of the extensive cycling infrastructure, usually separated from the drivers. German and even French drivers are actually ok, but we will touch on six countries. That includes a bit of Italy, which is oh oh!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonAs you will see in a subsequent post, we seem to also think schnitzel with noodles has something to do with it!

But yes, if you look at the blogs in "grid view" you will see our photo of a tee shirt that recognizes the use of a bike in the pursuit of happiness. Susan Carpenter's photo follows the same theme!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Michel FleuranceFor our great expectations go for it and have fun.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierI'm so glad you're back at the cycle touring thing. I was worried after Dodie's crash. I'll be following along intently!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Eva WaltersSo glad you're off again! We look forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Douglas LotenSafe journeys! After your search for the perfect Poc Chuc, what will it be this trip?

Cheers,

Doug & Elaine
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Rich FrasierThanks for the nice message Rich. Maybe we'll find you and say hi, next time in France!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Eva WaltersThanks Eva. Watch for at least 90 exciting posts, coming up!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Douglas LotenWe have raised our sights and are now searching for all the things that make life worth living, and worth cycling to. Each day, we'll report on what we found. It could end up being nothing but schnitzel and strudel!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceHi Michel! This time we will only touch briefly in France - at Strasbourg. But we are missing you a lot and will have to come to France soon. This time out it's schnitzel and strudel, but later, baguettes and croissants.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesNothing wrong with schnitzel and strudel…two of my favourite health foods!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith ClassenJulie Andrews mentions noodles with the schnitzel, but I think you need "pommes" for the full health effect.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
George Hall​"The Meaning of Life" - interesting. There's a lot of ways that could go. My Transam journal originally included "Buddy Rides a Bike and Re-Discovers the Meaning of Life" as part of the title when it was first published on that other site, but I eventually shortened it and cut off the "Meaning of Life" part. But a portion of the Epilogue in that journal references the meaning of life as found on my journey (I don't think you can put a link in a comment or I would). I'll be interested in following along to see what aspects you discuss of the meaning of life. I spent 6 months in Germany in 2019 (Weisbaden area), so I'll be very interested in your photos and tour as well. Best of luck and "ein dunkles Bier" for me please!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago