Wild Winds and Falling Trees: Buchan to Orbost - Lake to Lake Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2012

Wild Winds and Falling Trees: Buchan to Orbost

Day 7
Friday 28 September 2012
Buchan to Orbost

We awoke to wild weather but it was not wet enough to call a rest day. We set off from the Buchan Lodge toward Orbost with a very strong, almost gale-force tail wind. As we climbed, the wind became even stronger and was scarily powerful on the ridges.

In the distance we saw a farm shed blow apart in a shower of dust and corrugated iron sheets. At times the buffeting made it necessary to lean the bike sideways into the wind to prevent being blown over. This was a 120 kg plus load of rider and bike being pushed around easily by blasts of wind. We were careful to move clear of tree stands. My helmet prevented a hard blow by a flying branch causing any damage.

Tree damage in the roadside forests was significant and the road had numerous branches and several big trees blown across it. Crews were out clearing the road but it was closed to cars most of the day.

Despite the wind, it was a wonderful ride. The views were again grand. Distant mountain ranges, brilliant green pastures, massive eucalyptus trees, wild flowers, fern gullies and quaint farms. There is a lot of variety on this short piece of road. Here we met up again with the Snowy River. Much wider, much browner and only a few kilometres from meeting the sea.

It is hard to believe this was our seventh straight day of riding. The hardest sections of the ride are behind us with less need to be careful about carrying enough food and water. We are also now back into an area with mobile phone reception.

We rolled into Orbost and booked into one of the pubs. It was a bit rundown but sufficed.

On a visit to the bakery we learned the wind storm had really been quite widespread. The bakery had almost sold out of stock because roads, including the main highway, had been closed in all directions. Car travellers had been forced to wait in the town (and eat pastries!) until the roads were cleared.

It has only taken two days to cycle across the state of Victoria on the route we took. We are feeling confident we will actually make it to Melbourne. Tomorrow we will try out the rail trail which runs from Orbost to Bairnsdale. The East Gippsland Rail Trail.

Distance 60 km
Average 13.6 km/ hr
Maximum 49 km/ hr
4 hrs 24 mins riding

Looking back to idyllic Buchan from the road to Orbost
Heart 0 Comment 0
ROAD CLOSED but not to bikes.The first of many trees across the road today. It was a motor-vehicle free day to Orbost.The helmet prevented a couple of whacks on the head from wind-blown branches which were being carried quite a distance.We didn't pause near big, roadside trees. Even on calm days, especially in hot weather, eucalypt trees can drop large branches without warning. Occasionally fatal, often damaging, these falls mean that camping under large eucalypt trees should be avoided.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spring wildflower. Possibly Epacris?
Heart 0 Comment 0
More wildflowers. There was a good variety of flowers in the forest understorey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another of the many trees down. They come down without warning. I saw one fall away from the road. Crack and whumpf with no preliminary creaking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road crew clearing trees. The boys appreciated my offer to help tow away the logs behind my bike using ocky straps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Will and John on a clear patch of road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tall timber
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the larger trees downed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Possibly Mt Imlay in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside view on the way to Orbost
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farm by the Snowy River on the outskirts of Orbost. This was our first glimpse of the Snowy River since well before Suggan Buggan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entrance to Orbost runs along the Snowy River
Heart 0 Comment 0
More big timber. An avenue coming into Orbost. It was evident that decent sized floods had been this way recently.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Snowy River at Orbost not far where it meets the sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Japanese Jeep enthusiast had restored the vehicle, shipped it to Australia from Japan and was mid-way driving it around Australia solo and meeting with fellow Jeep club members in different places. At Orbost. He was staying in the same pub as us. Even the vintage 2-way radio in the Jeep was operational.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roof climbing pub dog at Orbost. He was just keeping a canine eye on our bikes in the pub's back shed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our accommodation at Orbost. Marshall's Pub. The sign over the dining room reception desk said something like, "Roadkill is our speciality. You Kill It We Grill It. "The food was actually very good, and clearly not scraped off the Princes Highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 491 km (305 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0