Rail Trail Trials: Orbost to Bruthen - Lake to Lake Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2012

Rail Trail Trials: Orbost to Bruthen

Day 8
Orbost to Bruthen
Saturday 29 September 2012

From Orbost pub budget accommodation to Orbost bakery breakfast to Rail Trail on AFL Grand Final Day. Will Swans or Hawthorn to win?

Our first experience of the East Gippsland Rail Trail was a mixed one.

The variety of views was great, the gradient was exceedingly easy compared to where we'd just been and the complete lack of traffic was superb. The wind protection was also very welcome. The track surface though varied from rough, loose, stony, slippery gravel to soft, boggy clay aggregate. Fallen trees and branches were abundant due to a recent big storm which had even closed the Princes Highway with tree falls.

Twenty or so times we had to dismount and handle the bikes around major obstacles. For a dedicated trail, it was slow, slow going.

Nowa Nowa's Mingling Waters cafe was great. Excellent food. Very welcoming of cyclists.

The day's ride ended at Bruthen 15 minutes before the end of the 2012 AFL Grand Final.

The Swans were down by 11 points when we arrived at the Bruthen Hotel looking for rooms. By the time we'd booked in, the Swans had won.

Bruthen is a lovely small town. It has a fairly new microbrewery where we had an evening meal. The Bruthen Hotel was great accommodation.

Distance 70 km
Average 11.2 km/ hr
Maximum 35 km/ hr
6 hrs 10 mins riding

Downtown Orbost as we roll out of town on another fine day
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are deep into Gippsland dairy country.
View from the beginning of the East Gippsland rail trail near Orbost.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heritage, timber rail trestles are eye-catching features of the rail trail route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And there is another one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The surface of the rail trail between Orbost and Bruthen was not ideal. There were so many small sticks, the chance of a spoke jam was a real risk.
Storms and high winds had brought down branches and trees galore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Before long we encountered fallen timber. This was the first of many.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As well as the big logs and trees, we had to be very careful to avoid small sticks going into spokes and jamming into mudguards.
They can bring a bike to a sudden halt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Speaking of halt, clambering through mess like this became tiresome after the first six or so stops. There were lots more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An occasional clear run along the rail trail was appreciated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evidence of bush fire damage along the rail trail.
Bushfires throw large things around with powerful updrafts and blasting hot winds.

Cycle touring in bush fire season in rural and remote area means taking notice of weather forecasts and any warnings.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Another of the grand rail trestle bridges. These can be appreciated from the rail trail but are not rideable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The timber viaducts are grand structures and although not in use due to their age, make the rail history of the region very real and accessible from the trail which bypasses the old rail bridges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical of the lush fields in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tall timbers and forest regenerated post-fire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Nowa Nowa Mingling Waters cafe.
Note the bike rack.
What would a cycle tourist do with it?
Heart 0 Comment 0
There's your answer. Where there is a Will, there is a way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another grand rail bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And another tree down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Forest close to Bruthen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Countryside as we approach Bruthen on the rail trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home for the night. The excellent Bruthen pub. Great accommodation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Bruthen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uptown Bruthen.
We discovered a microbrewery. There's a poster on the door.
Yes ...it is called the Bullant Brewery. Bullants have a bite and so did the natural beers and ales in this brewery. Great stuff. No precautions. Just visit it and try the friendliest bullants you will find in Australia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the poster close up.
The Bullant Brewery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the brewery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Bruthen war memorial
Heart 0 Comment 0


Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 561 km (348 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0