Day 1 : Nevers to Sancerre - Lack of Imagination Loire Valley - Tandem Tour - July 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2021

Day 1 : Nevers to Sancerre

Wet Wet Wet

Heart 0 Comment 0


First days are always stressful for me, and this one was no exception.  We were up at a reasonable hour, had breakfast in the hotel, and walked over to the garage to set up the bike.  My new scheme of breaking it in two for car travel worked great - only 4 bolts to cinch down, 3 cables to connect, and we were ready to go.  No rubbing brakes.  Everything looked perfect.

We went back to the hotel and changed into riding clothes.  Did I mention it was raining?  Not too badly, but still…

We checked out, walked back to the car, and shuffled all the bags around.  Put the panniers on the bike and we were ready!

Nervous but ready to go
Heart 3 Comment 0

The rain was kind of a heavy mist, but we were wearing our rain gear - jackets and helmet covers.  And it wasn’t too cold.  So it was actually kind of pleasant cycling.  We dropped down through Nevers to cross the Loire river.

Down to the river
Heart 3 Comment 0

We rode across the river, which is impressively wide even this far from the ocean.   Then rode south out of town along the Canal Laterale de la Loire.   There were a few hardy joggers and riders out on this rainy Bastille Day morning.

Beautiful canal riding
Heart 3 Comment 0

In Guetin, the canal crosses the Allier river just before it flows into the Loire.  The canal bridge was spectacular and since no one was out this morning, we ignored the signs and rode across instead of walking our bikes.

Crossing the Allier
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the end of the bridge was an impressively high double lock that lifts boats up onto the bridge from the west side.  The locks were really deep!

Double locks at the bridge entrance
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lock gates decorated with flowers. To watch while you wait for the lock to fill, I guess
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then on to some great riverside riding on impressively maintained bike paths.  Lots of cool houses and gardens to ooh and aah over.  Including one that looked like a displaced windmill.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Probably because I was looking at the houses too much, we managed to get off course and found ourselves tiptoeing through the mud in the middle of a logging site.  Ooops.  Luckily the Wahoo ELEMNT has a “route me back to my route” feature that bailed us out.   The only ill effects were mud kind of everywhere on us and the bike.

It got worse after this
Heart 0 Comment 0

At this point, the rain got vicious.  We had planned to eat lunch to dodge the worst of it, but due to our little detour through the mud, we were running late.  So the decision was made to put our heads down and time trial to La-Charité-sur-Loire, our best chance for lunch choices on a holiday.  After too long, we got a glimpse of our goal.

La-Charité-sur-Loire In the distance
Heart 3 Comment 0

By this time we were thoroughly soaked, and started discussing our hopes for lunch options.   That got us through the last effort and we finally rolled over the bridge into the beautiful old village.

La-Charité-sur-Loire from a bit closer
Heart 2 Comment 0

We applied our first restaurant rule (which we use in serious situations) and wound up in an unpromising looking pub.  Surprisingly, the food was great!  AND they had Guiness on tap!  Good for a cold rainy day!

It’s good for you! Really!
Heart 6 Comment 1
Mike AylingHaven't hheard that slogan for quite some time!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After lunch we were still cold and wet but we poked around town a bit exploring.  La-Charité-sur-Loire was the site of a large abbey that was originally founded in the 12th century.  There isn’t much left now, and the beautiful church looks like it’s had quite a bit of restoration.  But there are some interesting remnants and the town is beautiful in a run-down old way.  Worth exploring more, but we were pretty cold and decided to make a run for Sancerre and the warmth of our hotel.

Exploring
Heart 2 Comment 0
La-Charité-sur-Loire
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Church in La-Charité-sur-Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0

With newfound purpose in life, we rolled back across the river and headed north.  Amazingly, we started to warm up!

Sunflowers on a cold, wet July day
Heart 2 Comment 0

We could see Sancerre in the distance, and soon enough we were climbing up to meet it.

Sancerre in view!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our hotel, Le Panoramic, welcomed us with secure bike parking and warm showers.  And great views out over the countryside.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We got cleaned up and went out exploring the pretty town.  Lots of cool old buildings.  We also scouted dinner options and settled on La Taverne du Connétable.  

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We did some more poking around and once the restaurant opened, we hopped in.  Excellent food, accompanied by glasses of Sancerre wines, first 2 different whites, then 2 different reds.  We made our own wine tasting.

Heart 6 Comment 0

We walked off our dinner with some more exploring and then made our way back to the hotel.  The setting sun was finally breaking through the clouds.  Better weather is coming!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 103 km (64 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonI love this entry, in its own right as well as for the memories it rings back. We rode this stretch in 1993 on our first European tour our way back to Paris. We stayed in La-Charité and watched the sun set from its ruined walls.

Good luck on better weather!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob DistelbergLooks like a great start despite the weather. Hope that weather improves though!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonSorry you had to start your trip with rain!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago