Day 56 Chambers Lake Campground to Walden CO - Still 8 years old in my brain - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2023

Day 56 Chambers Lake Campground to Walden CO

After we hitched up the trailer, I left Chambers Lake and almost immediately the climbing began. And it was raining. Steeper than yesterday and no relief for about three and a half miles. Then a mile of flat to gentle climbing followed by two miles of tolerable climbing at 3-5%. Peter and Henry were waiting at the pass!

Irene- thanks for the gloves! They saved me in the cold rain!
Heart 5 Comment 4
Rich FrasierThat's a big climb! Congratulations!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Julie O’NeillWHOO HOO! Six miles of climbing. You are amazing.

✅ Cameron Pass

Congratulations!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich! Sometimes I surprise myself.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Julie O’NeillThanks for the encouragement Julie!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

The descent was chilly although the rain stopped. I stopped at the Moose Visitor Center to put on another layer. Shortly thereafter, the rain returned. As the descent leveled out the headwind started and it was a grind into Walden. The land really opened up and the vistas were incredible but I was too cold and wet to stop for photos.   
When I got to the campground, Peter said he was about to leave the trailer with Henry who let out a bark like he’d never heard before. Then he turned and saw a huge moose right outside the door. 

Big fella
Heart 5 Comment 3
Julie O’NeillThat's really scarier than the climbs!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Julie O’NeillYes! I wish I could’ve seen it!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltWow......very cool to see the moose so close!!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We ate dinner at the River Rock Restaurant in town. Very satisfying and filling. It’s raining again. Hopefully tomorrow will be clear.

A good day. No catastrophes. 



Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 2,123 miles (3,417 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Nancy HornikYou are amazing! Dealing with all the different elements and the crazy elevation. Glad you are staying safe!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Julie O’NeillRide on Superwoman! 👍🏼
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Steve HurlbutKeep on trucking Messy Missy! Amazing.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Sandy EarleThanks little brother! I’m a bit laid up right now. Hope to be feeling better soon.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Di KegelesThis is Cheryl’s old neck of the woods- she lived in and around Granby for years!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Steve HurlbutTo Sandy EarleI have gone through that a ffew times. Genes from mom. But she was awesome. Take care.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Steve HurlbutTo Steve HurlbutYou will be fine.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Di KegelesWow! I didn’t know Cheryl lived in Colorado. It’s beautiful country.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Steve HurlbutYou sound like Mom!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago