Day 93 Bay View State Park to Lummi Island! - Still 8 years old in my brain - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2023

Day 93 Bay View State Park to Lummi Island!

Home at last!

Up around 6 am. Michelle made a big pot of the best oatmeal I’d ever eaten with plump raisins and incredible granola from Lummi Island’s Full Bloom Farm. And Americano coffee. I’m well fueled. Thank you Michelle!

I took off and headed north towards Edison. Really nice easy biking. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

When I got to La Mariposa restaurant, I saw a lot of bikes and stopped in. I encountered a group of guys out for a Sunday ride who were having breakfast. I asked them about biking Chuckanut drive. One guy said he only does it with a big group or event. Another guy said it’s hilly and warned me about the lack of shoulder but said “people do it”. I don’t know why I even asked because I really wanted to do Chuckanut Drive. Besides, it’s shorter than going by Lake Samish, the way I told Peter I was going. And it’s beautiful. So that’s what I did. It was just enough climbing to be fun.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

When I got to  Larabee State Park, I took the Interurban trail which is hard pack gravel and dirt. Better for a mountain bike. After a while, I asked some women for directions to Fairhaven and they said I might want to leave the trail soon with my type of bike. So I took Chuckanut drive to  the Fairhaven neighborhood. I stopped at a grocery store for some cold bubble tea-a first for me- and some yogurt. I almost aspirated one of the bubbles. Now I see where the name comes from. Weird stuff. When I finished it, I noticed there was a straw with it. So that’s how you’re supposed to drink it. Oh well. 

Peter called me and told me to be on the 2:10 ferry. Ok. Sounds like perfect timing. I took the trail through Fairhaven that runs along the waterfront. Lots of walkers, runners, bikers, dogs, and baby strollers out enjoying a glorious Sunday afternoon. 

I think that’s Lummi Island on the left and Orcas Island behind Lummi.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0


 I went down Holly Street which turns into Marine drive. Now I’m on familiar ground. 

As I went through the Lummi Reservation, I stopped on the bridge over the Nooksack River. I’m really getting close. 

Going down Haxton Way, I stopped to admire some of the plants. 

Japanese knotweed. I’ve never seen this one flower.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltBad invader!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Fireweed
Heart 0 Comment 0

I stopped at the traffic circle at Firehouse Road to eat my yogurt as I was famished. As I was sitting there I noticed a sign across the street. The Lummi have a lot of inspirational and uplifting signs. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
I feel so happy!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just a nice downhill and I’m at the ferry landing. As I cycle to the front of the line where bicycles wait, I see what I think is a clown out of the corner of my eye. Up bikes the clown and I start laughing and crying at the same time. It’s my friend Mike!

Heart 5 Comment 0

Mike and I board the ferry together. Seeing the Whatcom Chief always warms the cockles of my heart!

When we got to the Island, there was a big crowd of friends and neighbors as I rode up the ferry ramp, I could hear Henry’s greeting. What an awesome welcome home! I’m so humbled. I’m given balloons and flowers and a lei of paper flowers and Parth, one of my favorite kids, made me a medal! Then I got a bike escort home by Bob and Julie and my fearless friend Thurid, who I’ve often mentioned in this journal. I’m so fortunate to live in such a beautiful place with such special people. 

Joanie and Kathy holding their sign with George and Doreen looking on. Scott with his sign on the left.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rich helping me with my medal while Brie, Ezzi and Maddi watch
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bob, Julie, Myra, Thurid, and Marissa
Heart 4 Comment 0

Later that evening we were graced with a Lummi  sunset. 

Heart 5 Comment 0

So great to be home. 

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 3,552 miles (5,716 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 15
Nancy GrahamWelcome Home Sandy! What a warm and well deserved welcoming you received on your island ❤️. You did an amazing adventure and did it so very well. Again, what a treat to have met you along your way.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat journal! I will think of you as I try to run my last 5k Saturday... if my knees hold out that long.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Mike AylingI really enjoyed your journal Sandy.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Nancy GrahamThanks Nancy! Meeting you and Susan was a highlight of my trip! Next time you’re up Bellingham way, let me know. Fouronefour899967zero.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Bill ShaneyfeltYou go Bill!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Mike AylingThanks so much Mike. I appreciated your support.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Nancy GrahamTo Sandy EarleThanks Sandy. We will definitely do that - get in touch whenever we are up that way.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Steve HurlbutYay! You made it Messy Missy! Incredible and thanks for sharing.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Nancy HornikCONGRATULATIONS SANDY....WELCOME HOME!
So enjoyed following your adventure. A long time in the waiting, but, you did it! So proud of you!!! Will talk soon. Love uou more!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Julie O’NeillCongratulations, Sandy! You made it home 4 days before I caught up with your journal. It's August 17 today. I loved being with you through your journal on this epic journey! I am so happy that your dream came true. Although I am certain that the journey that you just completed has changed you in many ways, please don't stop 'being 8 years old' in your brain! Love you❤️
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Ed SpeareWell done Sandy! People that live their dream are truly blessed!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Julie O’NeillThanks Julie! I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. It would’ve been even better if I had a riding partner like you!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Steve HurlbutThanks Steverino!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Ed SpeareThanks Ed! Sorry we missed each other in western Washington.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Nancy HornikThanks Fancy Nancy! At least I didn’t have to hire a locus tenets!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago