Off to Portland and Bangor, ME - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2021

Off to Portland and Bangor, ME

Early this morning (6am!!) my sister drove us to the airport and we flew from Jacksonville, FL to Portland, ME.

Rose, Karen, Kim
Heart 1 Comment 0

After landing we had a short taxi ride to the Portland Transportation Center to catch the Concord Coach Lines bus for the journey to Bangor. 

Portland Airport
Heart 0 Comment 0
All smiles with the Moose we met at the Portland, Maine Airport
Heart 1 Comment 0

During our two-hour wait at the Transportation Center terminal Rose ordered us some lunch from Flores Scandinavian Restaurant through Grub Hub delivery. Tasted great. 

We met a lady named Bonne Wheeler and had a very engaging conversation with her during the two hours. What a warm, positive, interesting, and adventurous person she is! She is from Maine but has lived a few other places and she shared some interesting stories from her life. She was also equally interested in our trip. Meeting people like Bonne is one of the most memorable aspects of these tours. 

Bonne
Heart 0 Comment 0

She also happens to be the biggest Bob Dylan fan I have ever met. We both agreed that his Rolling Thunder Revue tour back in 1975 was outstanding. And for both of us “Blood on the Tracks” is our favorite of his albums. 

Our bikes were shipped ahead to our Warmshowers hosts Martin and Lesa in Bangor. Martin picked us up at the Bangor Transportation Center, gave us a brief tour of Bangor, then set us up at their house to stay on our own. They are a couple blocks away at another house they have. 

We reassembled our bikes and repacked our gear. We have a couple of items that will require a bike shop visit tomorrow. Martin had already offered to shuttle us to Acadia and he has mentioned they have several good bike shops in Bangor.  We are so grateful for his hospitality and assistance. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
John ScanlanKimsan,
You're right. Meeting people is what cycle touring is all about. Enjoy the cooler temperatures up there, because it's supposed to be 99 tomorrow down here. So I imagine that northern Florida is the same. You perfectly timed your departure.
PS - I LOVE "Tangled up in Blue"!!!!!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioTo John ScanlanThank you, John. And thank you for following along again this time!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago