Bangor to Acadia National Park - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2021

Bangor to Acadia National Park

Early this morning Martin took us to Pat’s Bike Shop in Wheeler for a couple of tasks. Scott Seymour fixed us right up, then we returned to Martin’s house and he loaded our bikes and gear into his truck. On the way to Acadia where we have a reservation at Blackwoods Campground for tonight, we stopped at Otter Cove, one of his favorite surfing spots.  The weather was beautiful all day. 

Otter Cove
Heart 3 Comment 2
John ScanlanIsn't that classic Maine to have your favorite beach for surfing be all rocks?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rene HofbauerTo John ScanlanPretty cool
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Martin, a retired high school chemistry teacher, past bicycle racer, and experienced cycle tourist provided a great overview of the Bangor area as well as some interesting Maine history. We didn’t get to meet Lesa this time but hopefully on a future trip! 

Speaking of future trips….this cooler weather is so refreshing that I could easily consider coming back again. Just not in winter. Bangor is so clean and the people are as nice as any I have ever met. 

Martin, our terrific host in Bangor!!
Heart 2 Comment 1
John ScanlanAs I read your comment about the cooler weather being refreshing, today's heat index is 110.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

My Lifetime Senior Pass for National Parks came in very handy when booking the campsite (half price) and for getting us into the park in Martin’s truck for no extra fee. I purchased it two years ago and used it for the first time at Mt Rainer, also two years ago. I highly recommend the pass for any eligible person who enjoys visiting National Parks. 

Lifetime Pass
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanHow much is the senior pass? How old do you have to be to get one?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim Diorio$80 one-time fee. Age 62 and up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Final bike and parts assembly, tents set up, then a trip to Bar Harbor on the free Island Express shuttle bus. 

In Bar Harbor we made a grocery stop, are dinner at Atlantic Distillery, then visited a few shops. 

The shuttle bus had no more runs back to Acadia this evening. Uber, Lyft, and taxi cabs are nearly impossible to get. We were, however, fortunate to meet Sean and Cheryl, a wonderful couple on vacation from New Jersey. They drove us all the way to our campsite. Once again the universe provided!

Sean and Cheryl
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rene HofbauerGood peeps are everywhere!!!❤️
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice of them! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Rose writes:

After a good night’s sleep and shower in Martin and Lesa's 1900's era house, coffee and abundant sunshine warmed me up.  Martin arrived and loaded our bikes up into his truck. He rolled us over to his friend Scott who owns Pat's bike shop.

We received warm welcomes from Scott as he opened up his shop to us. Candyland! The abundant supply of gear and kindness abounded in this bike shop. Scott made a repair to Kim's front hub and then installed Martin's donated Tubus Tara front bike rack onto my bicycle. All free of charge. 😀 Kim and I bought some gear we couldn't live without.  After exchanging tales of adventures and cycling, we set off back to the house to pack up our gear into the truck.

After a tour of the garden and orchard, we set off to Bar Harbor.

Beautiful Japanese Maple at Martin and Lesa's home.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Hostas with Gigantic leaves.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wall murals in Bangor.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We remembered along the way to stop at Epic Sports, a family owned local outfitter.  Kim, showing great control, exited the store with her purchase of fuel and few carabiners.  I stayed a bit longer, browsing and dreaming of adventures to be had. I left with a dry bag, fuel and their last wise ass shirt.😁 If in Bangor, and needing adventure supplies, stop at Epic Sports!

My impulse buy at Epic Sports🤣
Heart 4 Comment 2
Lori CroweIt’s all you to a T 😂
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rose Craig-KinnonYes it is!! 😁😁😁
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

As we drove to Bar Harbor, Martin showed us some great geological finds and special spots akin to secret fishing holes along the way.  See Kim's pic above.

Kim's attention to detail and senior pass got into the campground in Acadia National Park. Upon arrival, we unloaded and said our goodbyes to Martin. He truly embodies what a great Warmshowers host is. We are beyond blessed with his kindness and support.

Our Warmshowers host Martin, Kim and me.
Heart 5 Comment 0

After final assembly of the bikes and setting up camp, Kim and I set off to catch the last bus into town for dinner.

While navigating the throngs of people in town we grabbed some groceries, had dinner at Atlantic Brewing company, window shopped and said our Hellos to the local doggos.  

Maine!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Midtown Burger and Summer Panzanella salad at Atlantic Brewing Company
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bingo and Ruger. Two Aussie Shepard's that reminded me of my brothers dogs, Dan and Daisy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bacon!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The sun was setting on the day as we walked towards the campsite. We met a lovely couple from New Jersey, Sean and Cheryl. Sean was planning his next mountain bike adventure. They graciously offered us a ride back to camp when hearing of our tour. 

We said our goodbyes to these two lovelies, then hit the sack. 

Tomorrow we will begin the beautiful adventure cycling in Acadia National Park!

Follow us for more updates!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lyndy MooreY'all should call it the coffee vs tea tour!! I am excited to follow along.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago