Acadia through Ellsworth to Timberland Acres - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2021

Acadia through Ellsworth to Timberland Acres

Camped last night at Blackwoods Campground in perfect weather. Woke up to 59 degrees. Now tea and oatmeal for my breakfast, coffee and oatmeal for Rose. Love my Jetboil…still my all-time favorite piece of camping gear. Rose bought one for herself this time, after becoming familiar with mine on the last tour. 

First camping night
Heart 1 Comment 1
John ScanlanYour e-bike looks slick!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Familiar camp breakfast setup
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanYour oatmeal looks good. Is that the same ol' big water bottle that you always used? I had to laugh at the red thing with the girl scout logo.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lyndy MooreJust last year I gave Britta's Girl Scout silverware kit (red thing) to a friend's GS daughter for her camping trip. And her plate, skillet combo too - still in it's green shoulder strap bag!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We packed up and headed out for our first day of cycling. Feels great to get back out touring. 

Beautiful weather
Heart 1 Comment 1
John ScanlanNot a cloud in the sky! But it looks like you're about to go down a huge hill.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
On the way to tonight’s campsite
Heart 1 Comment 0
Used my brakes on part of this downhill
Heart 0 Comment 0

After checking in to Timberland Acres for tonight we met our neighbors, Missy and Joe. They are from Falls River, MA and are spending two weeks here, exploring different parts of the area each day. Missy is an elementary school art teacher and Joe is a carpenter. We had an enjoyable evening with them and, oh my, they had me laughing so much with their travel experiences!

The forecasted rain arrived so it was great sitting under their extra canopy. They offered me the option of storing my bike under there as well, which I gladly accepted. 

Missy and Joe
Heart 2 Comment 4
John ScanlanSo how many miles was it from Blackwoods to Timberland Acres? Is that your planned daily average?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Joseph PachecoType your comment here
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Joseph PachecoTo Joseph PachecoIt was so wonderful to meet you two girls. We had a great time chatting with you. I just think you are very inspiring. We actually saw you on our way home on Sunday. We knew it was you because of Roses pool noodle. You girls are awesome. Ride safe.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioHi Joe. We enjoyed meeting you two as well. I was so happy when you drove by and Missy waved! Thank you again for all the help, laughter, hot water, paper towels, and canopy space. You certainly helped us make the most of the rainy, wet situation!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Rose writes:

Best way to get in shape for a tour is to tour. After a hearty breakfast, we packed up and set off for Timberland Acres RV Park close to Ellsworth, Maine.

Breakfast is always fancier after a trip to the grocery store.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First day on my fully loaded bike😬 Good Lawd I'm gonna be super strong after this tour!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The pace was slow and the hills were many the first day. Kim and I ride at the same time, just not together. I will say though she has a faster pace than I do on these hills. I stopped a few times to catch my breath, then pressed forward up the pending hill.  I finally made it up a huge hill without stopping! 

A smile on my face after conquering this massive hill!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kim was waiting for me at the Cranberry Lodge across from the beautiful bay. Great time for a sit and snack!

The Historic Cranberry Lodge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful roadside flowers inviting you in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bright and colorful containers filled with vibrant coleus, verbena, petunias and nemesia.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rene HofbauerGot a love those
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We stopped in at a gas station and devoured 2 pieces of pizza each, refilled our water bottles and added ice! The weather has been perfect, but we hear there is a storm on the way...

A shot off the Trenton Bridge. Gorgeous weather with the wind at our backs!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tailwinds and good easement for the last portion of our ride to Timberline Acres Rv Park.  We are thankful to be stopping here for the night! Kim's great planning once again!

Welcome to home for the night!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made it to our campsite and accessed the ground for possible puddling. Rain was on its way.  We set up our tents and secured our belongings.  Headed to the showers to wash off the road grime.  Timberline Acres had clean showers with high pressure hot water. What a treat after a long day!

Dinner! Spicy Tuna Touring Tacos! Protein and carbs!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We came back to camp and visited with our camp neighbors from Massachusetts. What a lovely couple. I hit the sack early and Kim continued to visit.  The storm rolled in shortly and it rained all night into the late morning.

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 24 miles (39 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0