Bath to New Gloucester to Naples - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2021

Bath to New Gloucester to Naples

After a hearty breakfast that included blueberry pancakes at Mike and Alicia’s place we packed up for more great riding. I used blueberries on my oatmeal and left the rest with them. 

Mike, Kim, Alicia and Rose
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanDid you know that Bath has a huge Naval facility? I could've gotten you a room there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioThanks..yes, Rose has those privileges as well. I had already connected with our WS hosts much earlier. They had such awesome reviews and our experience was also great.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today’s route was very pleasant with more lightly traveled roads. The hills are still a challenge but I think we are getting stronger. 

Beautiful day!!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped for a nice picnic lunch at Runaround Pond in Durham. 

Runaround Pond
Heart 1 Comment 0
Picnic stop
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanThat is the second time that you have mentioned ticks. As for any KOA, you are never wrong staying there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Our original lodging plans for tonight didn’t come together like we had hoped. It was a bit too primitive for me, among other reasons (e.g., tick central). We got a shuttle to Naples where we are staying at the KOA. We were able to move the KOA reservation from Wednesday night to Tuesday night. 

This was our pizza for dinner while we waited on our shuttle to pick us up in New Gloucester. Food has been great all along the trip!

Village Store
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanYou got such a great looking pizza at the Village Store??? Man, that looks like the Saturday night special at your best Italian pizzeria!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioTo John ScanlanIt certainly tasted as great as it looks!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Our driver, Calvin, was a local and a knowledgeable, experienced cyclist and former racer. At the KOA picnic table we looked over the route maps and he provided some excellent inputs. While this was happening Rose got busy setting up her tent, then my tent. I was so thankful since dark was fast approaching. 

Rose writes:

What a blessing Alicia and Mike are in the Warmshowers community. Full of wit, adventures and stories!  Alicia got up early and whipped up some delicious blueberry pancakes and coffee! Yum!

Packing up and loading the bikes, Mike offered to take our lighten the load bag to the post office.  What a God send! Close 18lbs removed from the bikes, shipped back to Florida.

WS hosts going the extra miles. So very much appreciated!

We said our goodbyes and headed out of town along a few country roads and had the pleasure to ride on the Androscoggin trail to Brunswick. Peaceful riding that morning. 

Kim crossing the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brunswick!
Heart 0 Comment 0
First herd of cattle in Maine
Heart 0 Comment 0

Approaching noon, we stopped at Runaround Pond and sat for a bit of a picnic.  Out of the water came a man Pace, from Falmouth, Maine. He was turning 72 that day and was doing his best to do 4 sports. Kayaking, swimming, running and was heading home to bike! Inspirational!

We also met Chloe the fearless retriever.  She was like rocket off the rock ledge and into the pond when her owner threw her toy.

Chloe, the energetic retriever!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a good rest and stretch at the picnic table, we packed up and rolled toward our accommodations.

When Google takes you to the path less pedaled.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A bit of offroading on fully loaded touring bikes can be tricky. We managed to make it upright to our destination, but agreed to find other accommodations that were less primitive. We finished our off roading for the day and climbed to the Villiage Market. Kim had secured transportation to Naples and I moved our reservation up a day at the KOA.  Our driver, Calvin arrived and loaded up our gear. Calvin was a professional cyclist in his younger years and was delighted to see touring cyclists. His goal was to get back to cycling and begin touring again.

Kim and Calvin working out the routing for the next few days. Less hills and traffic! Yay!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We said our goodbyes to Calvin and passed on words of encouragement to him. Thankful that he was placed in our path today!

Note for all: The KOA in Naples has excellent restrooms and showers.

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 149 miles (240 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0