Naples to Waterford - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2021 to August 5, 2021

Naples to Waterford

Although we were only at the KOA for about 15 hours, it was a wonderful experience and no ticks. :-) Gretchen from the camp office was telling me the route today would be nice country roads. A very pleasant lady. 

Before heading out I booked us a room at the Waterford Inne for one, maybe two, nights. We are in need of a rest day and tomorrow would be it. Rain chances have increased as well, although nothing like we experienced last week. 

Today’s ride was indeed on nice backroads.

Nice tailwind today
Heart 2 Comment 1
John ScanlanWhen the flag is completely horizontal like that, it's more than just a "nice" tailwind.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

In Harrison we had lunch at the The Village Tie Up Market and Deli on Long Lake. Long Lake looked like a fun place. We ate lunch at an outside picnic table. My haddock sandwich was very filling. 

Lunch menu
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rose got the small roast beef sandwich. Mine was only offered in one size. I finished both halves.
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanThe fact that Kimsan finished both halves of that sandwich doesn't surprise me in the least.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioYep…”that Kim can chow down!” as you commented once upon a time :-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After lunch I connected with our first New Hampshire WS host and we will be there this weekend. Jen has already provided helpful and exciting info, with more to follow!

I walked back down to the library to take a look at their book sale. With my limited space I was able to find a small paperback book of George Orwell’s “Animal Farm.” I have never read it but heard many references to it over the years. The lady at the desk, Sarah, was so nice and so encouraging about our tour. 

Harrison Library
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanRose made the greatest call when she complimented you on your use of talking to locals for information.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Tonight and tomorrow night we will be in lodging and taking a rest day tomorrow. The Waterford Inne has a fascinating history and will provide a welcome break.  https://www.waterfordinne.com/

Yes, a peaceful place
Heart 2 Comment 1
John ScanlanAhhhhhh . . . there ain't nothin' better than a bed and a pillow.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Great place for a rest day
Heart 2 Comment 0

Rose writes:

When we left mid morning from the KOA in Naples, we rode the route that Calvin had recommended. At the beginning of the turn onto Lewis Road, we stopped and had a roadside snack. Soon two cyclists, Mary and Larry from Massachusetts pulled up in their vehicle.  We had a lovely conversations as they were also touring cyclists visiting family and WS hosts as well.

Lewis Road was certainly the most pleasant section of today's ride.

Lunch was delicious at the quaint Village Tie Up Market and Deli. After a good meal and a rest, we pedaled toward Waterford along lakes and hills.

Nice view from the picnic table at the Village Tie Up.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Paul JamesI agree beautiful area especially in “slow motion”. Your in familiar territory, my brother in law has a lake home not far from Waterford.
I am jealous!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioTo Paul JamesAnd such nice people everywhere too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The most beautiful countryside is seen in slow motion on a bicycle. 😀🚴‍♀️🏞

Kim made the final turn onto Chadbourne Road. Soon after I turned onto the same road and clicked down to my granny gear, not nearly in time. I stopped a few times, then Kim called to inform me that the new owner of the Inn would be down shortly to pick me up.  He stopped and I gave him my 4 panniers and kept pedaling up the hill. What an improvement! I zipped up that hill, not once losing my breath or momentum.  What an encouragement it was to conquer the hill quickly. I am getting stronger!

We will be hanging out at the Waterford inn for 2 days resting before pressing on to Bethel.

Waterford Inn sunset from the balcony.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Patty TyszkaHi, Kim and Rose. Patty and Matt here from your Waterford Inn stay. It was so interesting learning about your trek and listening to your adventures at breakfast. Back home now in NH, we thought of you when we saw 2 cyclists communing with a displaying tom turkey on a local farm roadside. It was a great opportunity for them to take a break in the heat on a steep climb. Enjoy every minute of your trip!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioHi Patty and Matt. Nice to hear from you! We enjoyed meeting you as well and hearing about your love of kayaking, among other fun activities. The Waterford was a great, memorable experience. Now we are hiding in our tents while it is raining. Wasn’t quite expecting that tonight! Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 172 miles (277 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0