Nobleboro to Bath - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2021

Nobleboro to Bath

After packing up at Duck Puddle we started making our way towards Bath. Tonight we are staying with WS hosts the Romac family. 

I have been seeing a lot of roadside blueberry stands so decided to stop this time. I purchased a quart and strapped the bag onto the top of my pannier. 

Roadside stop
Heart 3 Comment 0

Coming into Wiscasset at lunchtime we saw a very long line at Red’s Eats. Rose had inquired and learned that it was an hour wait. We went across the street to Sarah’s Cafe where we were seated promptly. The food was delicious. 

Lunch! A Greek salad sandwich
Heart 0 Comment 2
John ScanlanThat Greek salad sandwich looked awesome! But you've got to figure, if the other place was an hour's wait, what must their food be like?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioA day or two later someone told us it is a tourist trap. The menu didn’t look unique at all.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

For days I have noticed how the road signs list mileages using fractions. Finally stopped to snap a picture. Most seem to use 10 as the denominator and this one happens to use 1/2.  A few days back I even saw one that showed 4/5.

Distances
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanIf I was pedaling that distance, then I would want to know the additional fractions. It's all psychological when your legs are tired.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We arrived in Bath, found a note from our host, put our bikes in the garage, and set up for indoor camping on the spacious and comfortable screened back porch. The property here is beautiful. Abundant flowers, bee hives, chickens, and more. 

Our accommodations for tonight
Heart 2 Comment 3
John ScanlanI want to tour with you!!! You certainly don't "rough it"!!!!!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioThis was a top-notch WS host!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rene HofbauerSweet Spot!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Early morning wake-up caller
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanDid he actually crow in the morning? He looks just like the mean ol' rooster that we used to have at home. You would be fishing in our pond and he would sneak up behind you and attack you, jabbing you with his spurs. He did that to one Uncle of mine, and he promptly grabbed the rooster and threw him in the pond.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioYes he did, starting about 0430!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Rose writes:

Kim and I waddled away from Duck Puddle pond mid morning. Quackers!🤣

Made it up the gravel hill without incident! Yay!!  Rolled into the town of Wiscasset, hungry. Our 1st WS host, Martin recommended Reds eats. Unfortunately, the wait was an hour so we opted for quiet seating across the street at Sarah's Twin Schooners Cafe and Pub. Deliciousness! Soup, bread, salad and sandwiches. 

Beef and Blue Salad. Sooo good!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well fed, we left and took a short detour off US 1 through the steep backstreets of Wiscasset. Back on US 1, we rode to Bath, Maine.  Stopped at what Kim hoped was a tea shop bit it turned out to be a kitchen supply store. I bought a #1 coffee cup brewer and filters yay!

Bicycles and pretty flowers in Bath!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little history of Bath, Maine
Heart 0 Comment 0

A quick stop at the IGA grocery store and we set off to our WS hosts home. 

Kim had her eyeballs on and made the correct turn into the Romac's driveway. I did not and went down the hill to the country club, cussing google and her late cues. Grinding my gears and gritting my teeth, I pedaled the last 1/8 of a mile back up the hill to the driveway. As I entered the driveway, I could see a beautiful perennial pollinator garden. This changed my sour disposition quickly.

A Beekeepers perennial pollinator garden. A mood changer for sure!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Multiple types of beebalm, rudebeckia, phlox and wild thistle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bee bottoms!
Heart 2 Comment 0
This thistle plant is 4'-5' overall. Absolutely stunning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Autumn Sedum getting ready to pop!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Echinacea cone flower. Buzzing with bees.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We put our bikes in the stable aka the garage. Grabbed some showers and settled in. Our hosts Alicia and Mike were an absolute delight. Alicia made a delicious chicken and brocolli stir fry. Just before dinner was done their third WS guest showed up. Kendall  was cycling from Machias, Maine to Brunswick, Maine. We humans sat around the kitchen island eating dinner, sharing stories and telling jokes. Pepper the dog, Spaghetti the cat and her side kick sat under the table, awaiting something😀 

Afterwards, Kim discussed tomorrow’s route with Mike. Local knowledge is one of her resources when planning! A++

It was off to bed for me! Beautiful day to be cycling in Maine!

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 119 miles (192 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0