Day 1: Wertheim to Gemünden - Wertheim and Beyond - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2021

Day 1: Wertheim to Gemünden

When I woke up, I drew the curtains and saw it was very grey and had been raining. This year the weather is just not sticking to the forecasts. And I might need that fleece jacket I left at home after all.

Breakfast was at 7:40. We had been assigned a slot, I assume to avoid a full breakfast room. By the time we had finished breakfast the sky was brightening and patches of blue were making their way through the clouds. We finished packing and Janos was off looking for a safe place to leave the car for the next ten days while I looked for a replacement for my fleece jacket. We were both successful, or at least I hope our car will be safe. If the Main floods, it will be washed away. Anyway, my jacket is nice and was very affordable. I also took a few pictures in Wertheim on my ramble looking for clothing stores in little Wertheim.

It's going to be a good day.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The pedestrian zone is not for bicycles. I imagine they are numerous in the summer months, and today it is still too early in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Telling the story of five synagogues over the centuries at this site that no longer exist. The picture is of the last one that was torn down in the 60's post-war building boom. A couple of decades later but too late the mistake was acknowledged.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pink building now stands at the site of the old synagogue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel Löwensteiner Hof
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally on our bikes and happy to leave the car behind, we find our way to the Main bike path that stays close to the river all the way to Gemünden. It's a smooth ride, we have a paved surface from beginning to end, and the only rise is when we cross the bridge to Gemünden at the end of the day.

Last view of Wertheim and its pretty half-timbered houses as we cycle out of town.
Heart 6 Comment 0
As decoration on the side of the road an old wine press, in the background the vineyard slopes
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wall with patina and some grape vines - not prettied up for tourists
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is more or less what the day looked like.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Across the river is Rothenfels and its castle. Little detours are necessary if we want to visit the villages along the way.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Rich FrasierBeautiful picture!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rich FrasierThank you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
We get to see a bull fight! I think they were only playing, but they did paw the ground and kick up some dust.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were in Gemünden around 4:00. Where is the hotel? I charted our route to the address of the Fränkischer Hof but we don't see it. Janos asks a passer-by, native to Gemünden, who says he never heard of it, maybe it's in Lohr. We rode through Lohr, and it's 15 km behind us. That would be bad news, but fortunately it isn't in Lohr. It had changed its name and sometimes goes under the new name and sometimes under the old name. We are standing in front of Hotel Koppen.

We get cleaned up and rest a bit, not much else before dinner and we decide to save the sights of Gemünden for the next day.

Today's view from the hotel window
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 57 km (35 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0