Day 34 - Hesston, KS to Hutchinson, KS - Can('t) Hurt Me - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2021

Day 34 - Hesston, KS to Hutchinson, KS

A new hope

The girls did my hair before we left
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mark got his hair done too...
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we slept in to 730 and went next door for some baked oatmeal. Julie had pulled out all the stops with blueberries, strawberries, pecans and more. They even bought some vegan coffee creamer. I usually drink coffee black, but I'll never turn down fancy vegan additives. We ended up chilling and talking untill almost 11. The girls didn't want us to leave and honestly, we didn't either, but we packed up and hit the road. I felt like we were healed by this stay. It was such an amazing American experience: a small town in rural Kansas, the kids ride their bikes to school, everything is within a square mile, tornadoes are a thing, the homes are beautiful and old, and everyone knows each other. It gave me hope for america. 

Murica
Heart 5 Comment 0

It was only 30 miles to Hutchinson (off route) and we stopped in buhler KS for a sandwich at mustard seed. We saw Conner biking through town and we were all heading to the Hutchinson Lutheran bike hostel. We bikes the last couple miles to town and hit the bike shop to get some more butt cream and another water bottle holder.

We aren't in Kansas anymore. Right?
Heart 4 Comment 0

That's also where you get the key for the hostel. We went down the road and crammed our bikes down the skinny ramp into the basement. The basement was huge, has a shower, and beds. We walked down to Dillons to get frozen pizzas since the hostel has two ovens. We ate pizzas and watched joe dirt on VHS... What a day. We are gonna try to hit the road early tomorrow to beat the heat. We have to get out of Kansas, it's just too hot man. We are eventually supposed to make it to the high plains where the humidity is will drop.

The set up
Heart 1 Comment 0

Mileage: 30
Altitude gain:

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 1,810 miles (2,913 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0