To Grand Marais: And a beautiful starlit night - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2011

To Grand Marais: And a beautiful starlit night

Kim writes:

Another day of beautiful weather and a great lighthouse tour -- this time it was the Au Sable Lighthouse on Lake Superior.

Kingston Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Hurricane Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Au Sable Lighthouse on Lake Superior
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great tour guide
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresnel lens to provide greater visibility
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hurricane Beach on Lake Superior
Heart 0 Comment 0

Woodland Park Campground tonight and a great dinner at the bar. Actually it was the Lake Superior Brewing Company combined with a pizza restaurant. At the campground, we met Carol and Ron, a couple from St. Louis who are staying for two weeks.

Kim is ready to go 30 mph
Heart 0 Comment 0

John cycled into "town" and bought two bundles of firewood. He strapped them to his bike. Another nice campfire. As the night went on, other campers showed up and pitched their tents on neighboring sites.....one as late as 11pm!!

John writes:

Looks like it'll be another great day for cycling
Heart 0 Comment 0

This morning, Kim and I packed up and only pedaled 8 miles on H58 to the Hurricane River Campground. There, we locked up the bikes and hiked 1.5 miles to tour the Au Sable Point light house. It was very cool!

Kingston Lake morning -- a very peaceful location
Heart 0 Comment 0
For today's hike
Heart 0 Comment 0
After clmmbing the 98 steps to the top of the lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a picnic lunch, we pedaled to the town of Grand Marais and got a primitive camp site at the Woodland Park Campground. Operated by the city and having over 200 camp sites, this campground IS the city of Grand Marais. Plus, it was loaded with more of those "RV People". Our spot was a shaded camp site about 100 yards from Lake Superior, but it had a chipmunk that had absolutely no fear of humans. Thus, I had to constantly shoo that little shit away from our food and picnic table. He was cute for about five minutes, and then Kim was ready to give him a dose of her pepper spray.

Thief
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I did laundry and then ate dinner in "downtown" Grand Marais at the Lake Superior Brewing Company. Get the whitefish! Mmmmmm. Then we built a fire and sat by it until midnight.

Today's ride: 20 miles (32 km)
Total: 523 miles (842 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0