Summary: And back to everday life - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2011

Summary: And back to everday life

Kim writes:

This tour was a lot of fun, especially sitting by the campfires, gliding fast on the downhills, meeting so many nice people, and eating a lot of food.

Total days = 42

Camping = 22 nights; campfires = 17

Indoors = 20 nights; host homes = 6

Rest days = 6

Flat tires = 0 (yaaaayy!)

Bike repairs = 1

Items lost by Kim = 1 (REI rain jacket stuff sack)

Items lost by John = 4 (glove, two pairs of sunglasses, Road ID bracelet)

Of course, I'm still trying to adjust back into everyday life. It was great to be away from everything, especially the hot weather. Now we need to decide on our next route and figure out when to go!

Thank you to everyone who followed us along the way and sent encouraging notes. That surely did help to make the journal effort all worth it!

John writes:

Wow! So how soon can we go again?

I'm starting to save now for a touring bike.

Thanks a million to all of the wonderful people who hosted us. You fed us entirely too well. You have no idea how good a normal shower really feels. No matter whether it was a tent in your yard, a spot on the floor, the end of the couch, or a spare bed . . . it was truly appreciated.

America is the greatest country on earth, and it looks so much better going ten mph. What's the hurry? Slow down. Take pictures. Meet people. Eat at the local restaurants. It's not bicycle touring if all you're doing is staring down at a white line. As for all the drivers in those cars that zipped by . . . they wish that they were us.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0